Chapter 36 - New Orleans Friends

I'm woken up early by Daddy and Sarah-Jane helps me get ready for school. I hold back my tears and a lump forms in my throat.

School is the worst. I don't want to go.

What is someone like Miss Fell is there? My magic isn't good enough to escape.

What if they hurt me again?

We all sit downstairs together, eating our breakfast. Daddy puts on the radio and helps Mommy make coffee. Sarah-Jane and I eat cornflakes across from Henrik.

"I feel sick," I complain glancing at Mommy in the hope that she will let me take today off too. But no such luck.

"Mary-Lou honey, yesterday was plenty of time to recover," she says sternly and anxiety bubbles within me.

But I'm quickly distracted when a pretty brunette waltzes in the kitchen. She is smiley and happy.

"Morning Stuart, morning Miranda," she greets breezily before turning to me and Sarah-Jane.

She takes each of us by the hand, checking the time, and announces we have time to play this morning before we leave. Sarah-Jane squeals in excitement and drags her to the living room before she even has time to say hello to Robert.

"Look what Lulu can do," Sarah-Jane claps her hands and nods at me to show some magic. "Go on, show Davina."

I demonstrate my new ability to lift up a piece of paper without touching it and Davina smiles, proud of me.

"Your magic is incredible," she whispers and I feel so proud. My family would be proud too if they were here.

"Teach us more?" I ask her, hoping we can have two teachers, Henrik and Davina. That would be the best.

"You know I can't do that," she says sternly meeting my eyes. "You're too young. When you turn 10 years old, I can teach you more."

"No now," I scowl at her in annoyance and disappointment. "My friend Edey's family are doing the same and it's not fair, she's really really really good at magic. Really good."

"Edey?" Davina's ears perk up at the sound of her little cousin's name.

Oh.

Does Davina know my best friend too?

"How do you know Edey?" I ask suspiciously, narrowing my eyes.

"I have a cousin called Edey but you're probably talking about another little girl, she lives a long way away."

I force myself to stay silent because Henrik will not be happy if I say I think I do know her Edey.

Quickly, I grow a fondness for Davina. She cuddles us both and loves us both. She even lets us do her makeup. She teaches me how to do her mascara and even helps Edey and I put a simple moisturiser on our faces, telling us we look very beautiful.

Again, she says we're too young for proper makeup, like we are to be taught magic.

Half past rolls around quickly and she's surprised at how fast the time has gone.

"Are my favourite twins ready to walk to school?"

"I'm not a twin," I complain, grumpy about school. My mood drops dramatically and I feel homesick and sad. I don't want to go to school I want my real sister not a fake one.

"I have only one sister and she's not here."

Henrik gives me a warning look to stay quiet about not being Mary-Lou but I'm fed up and I've had enough.