Chapter 44 - I Love My Daddy

It takes me a long while to feel like myself again without my Koly by my side in everything naughty I do. I talk to the empty air often, sure that he's with me always.

"Koly I wish you were here to meet Daddy. I think you would like him."

From the Other Side, sat on the other side of the room, my Koly nods holding back his tears.

"I do, Ansel is a good man who values family highly. He will look after you well my Heddy-bear."

Obviously, I can't hear him but I continue to talk to him anyway.

"Daddy and 'Lijah are disagreeing about everything even what's for dinner," I inform him, not sure about what he's seen as a ghost. "Daddy wants me to live with him but 'Lijah says no. I'm happy they don't shout but I still don't like it."

I think long and hard about why they're arguing.

"'Lijah is used to looking after me and he doesn't think Daddy knows me well enough yet. Koly, I think... I think I want to be with my Daddy to see what it's like but I don't want to upset 'Lijah or anyone else..."

In the other room, 'Lijah sadly listens to my almost nonsensical babbling, pausing when I start talking about my feelings in it all.

When asked, I always say I don't mind because I don't want to leave here. I never admit want to be with my Daddy all the time because that would upset my siblings.

After we all returned from our family run, 'Lijah put me to bed and Nik found the last few drops of Elena's blood in his stash. Daddy made it clear he was not happy about being part vampire but Nik and I are more important.

He won't pass up this opportunity to be with us and give us proper love like we've always wanted.

Nik has taught Daddy how to be a hybrid. He is still struggling to open up to him but he's trying slowly. I know he wants a nice Daddy, he's just more scared than I am and finds it hard to take that initial leap of faith.

Even Finn is impressed by Daddy's control over his feeding instincts. Daddy says he will do anything for me and Nik so he managed to master his impulses quickly.

"Daddy, Daddy look," I call out to him downstairs when I've stopped talking with Kol. "I can teach Henry how to spin in a circle."

I demonstrate by asking Henry to show off his new skill and he does so beautifully. I give him a treat and his tail wags happily.

"That's amazing sweetheart," Daddy praises me and Henry double act. "Henry is one clever puppy."

After breakfast, I overhear 'Lijah and Daddy arguing again which makes me upset.

"Elijah I appreciate everything you've done for my children but it pains me that you've been forced to step up like this. I've watched it for a thousand years from the Other Side. You're their brother, not their father. Forgive yourself and let that go. You can't hold yourself responsible for everything, you hardly look after yourself. When was the last time you did something selfish? When was the last time you truly saw a woman?"

I listen intently, feeling puzzled when Daddy asks my brother about women. What does he mean?

'Lijah gets offended at his last remark.

"You know nothing of my family and our relationships Ansel. May I suggest you back off-"

"-no," Daddy interrupts bravely because no one ever stands up to 'Lijah. "You know as well as I do Hedda will be far better off living with me. I don't want to take her away completely, but she needs a doting father in her life."