Chapter 24 - 1st Grade

I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Hedda, there's no use shrieking like that," 'Lijah says sternly. "You're going to school and that's that."

"No I won't go. I won't," I mutter under my breath.

I pretend I've left my purple jumper in my room and 'Lijah lets me go upstairs to bring it down. Instead, I lock my door and hide under the bed. He won't find me here. Perfect.

Even if he does... we will be too late to go to school.

After a couple of minutes, 'Lijah impatiently stomps up the stairs.

"Hedda, I know you're in there," he calls while knocking on my door. "Come out now and you won't be in any trouble."

No.

No I won't. I'm not going to school. I only just got my family back and I'm being sent away from them every day apart from the weekend. No way will I let that happen.

'Lijah breaks the lock easily a few minutes later. How does he know I'm hidden here?

"I'm losing my patience Hedda, I can hear your heart beat."

I burst into tears and he blinks in surprise before adapting his approach.

"It's normal to be nervous but you're a brave girl," he says compassionately. "You'll make some friends, won't that be nice? Do you want some other children to play with?"

Yes. I want friends. I want to play in the park with friends like all those other children I saw with Bekah.

But I don't want school.

Everyone will know I can't read and I don't want anyone to find out. Even if I could read, school sounds horrible.

"I don't want to go, don't send me away," I cry as 'Lijah pulls me out from under the bed and picks me up.

"You'll love it when you're there," he insists he's doing the right thing. But he's not. He's sending me away like he doesn't love me anymore.

Bekah and Nik stare at us as he carries me crying out the front door, picking up my pink trainers along the way. I hid them earlier but sadly he still found them.

When we arrive, he insists I wear my shoes and while I hate it, I immediately stop crying. I can't let anyone see me like that. It's embarrassing. Father would yell at me if he saw.

"Don't leave me here," I whisper pleadingly to my big brother but he takes no notice.

"Hello, you must be Hedda. I'm Blair Fell, you can call me Miss Fell," a pretty brown haired woman holds out her hand for me to shake when we reach the entrance.

I extend my own and shake hers as she talks to me.

"I'm a teacher here. We're going to take very good care of you," she promises and 'Lijah slowly retreats, trying to disappear before I can say goodbye and get upset again.

"How old are you Hedda?" She asks confidently.

"Six," I say, not so confidently in comparison. I don't tell her I only just turned six before becoming a vampire. I'm not allowed to talk about that.

"You'll be in my first grade class then," she announces and I do feel a bit better because she is so nice. But I still don't want to be here.

"I want to go home," I turn to 'Lijah as I catch him attempting to sneak off.

"You're safe here, be a good girl. I'll pick you up later," he tells me, ignoring my pleas.

I start crying again, even harder than before. He's leaving me. He's actually leaving me.