Chapter 53 - The Hollow's Target

"Bye bye Edey," I call while I wave at her getting into the car.

"Bye bye Hedda, I miss you already," she tells me repeatedly.

"Tell Stella I'm sorry again. I'm glad she's eleven now too."

"I will tell her I promise, she is still very upset about her family though," Edey explains and I feel miserable for causing her pain. "But she's a vampire so maybe one day you will be friends."

"That's what I'm hoping for," I pipe up quietly, revealing my hopes and dreams for our friendship to rekindle. "But I can't give her family back."

"She is okay with Caroline, she is a very good vampire and she sticks to all the rules."

"Good," I mumble and give her one last hug before her daddy closes the car door.

I wave her all the way out of the driveway, happiness bubbling away within me. Edey is doing so well and so is Stella. I am so proud of them both.

Dinner is boring as usual but what makes it great is my family all being here. We laugh and giggle together before bedtime, which I don't complain about today because I'm so tired.

Falling asleep quickly, I dream of a bright blue light. Unsure whether it's real or not, I walk towards it before I hear an alarming scream that makes me jolt.

Hope.

Rushing out of bed I see her up as well, scared from her dream. Daddy races to us and checks us over, worried about why we're both suddenly awake.

"I'm cold," I complain to Daddy while wrapping a blanket around myself.

He frowns and glances over, hiding his concern from me.

"Me too Heds," Hopey shivers violently. "Where's my Dad? I had a bad dream."

Daddy calls Nik in, who is pleased that Hope asked for him. They've been getting to know each other so well and she goes to Nik now instead of my Daddy first.

My head starts to pound and I clutch Daddy tightly.

"HAYLEY," Nik bellows with panic lacing his voice.

"Daddy," I whine again, feeling suddenly more poorly now. It seems as though Hope is just the same.

Blackness in the corners of my vision creeps across the room until I can hardly see anyone's faces.

"I'm going blind again," I shriek in fear before collapsing on the floor as Hope does the same.

That's when our entire family panics.

***

When we wake Nik is looking after us. We're in his bedroom back in New Orleans.

"Nik?" I whisper, blinking again and again.

"Hedi, are you alright? Can you see me?" He asks nervously, remembering my last words before I fainted.

"Yes but I feel so ill," I complain and Hope wakes, chiming in too.

"Dad," she croaks and I see the worry in Nik's eyes for her.

He promises to find a way to make us both feel better and I try my best to sleep while he does. My body aches though so it's hard to rest.

Nik's phone buzzes again and again, and when he picks up I'm very worried. It's 'Lijah.

"Niklaus, Hedda's friend needs our help too. She must have been infected with this magic at the same time."

Nik argues back, confused as to why young Edey would also be taken for the sacrifice.

"She is very powerful for her age and she was born here, just like Hope," Finn hazards a guess that Freya agrees with. "This thing must be looking for a powerful sacrifice."