Chapter 40 - Life and Death Decisions

"Hedi, will you do something secret for me?" Nikky whispers, before pulling me into his room quietly.

"What is it?" I whisper back excitedly.

"I need to make more hybrids," he starts to explain under his breath so no one can hear. "Elena is a vampire now so I can't make anymore but you can."

I stare at him in surprise.

"You want me to make hybrids for you?"

"You mustn't tell anyone," he warns. "You don't have to agree, but it would help me a lot."

I feel uneasy, something within me knowing this isn't right but I really want to make him happy.

"Okay!" I agree brightly and his face lights up.

"Can you keep this a secret, even from Kol?" Nik reminds me sternly.

"From Kol? No I can't do that," I shake my head, immediately disliking the way Nik wants me to lie to my Koly.

"Please Hedi," Nik begs me. "These hybrids are so important to keep our family safe."

"But 'Lijah said we're safe now," I add on in confusion.

"Not from hunters," Nik reveals making my stomach churn. Hunters coming after us makes me very scared.

"Okay," I agree again, this time for good. I can keep it secret from everyone if it means they will be safe. Maybe Koly won't die if I do this. Maybe I can save him from Sarah-Jane's prediction.

"Will it hurt?"

"It won't hurt you, don't worry about that. Thank you Hedi, you're doing the right thing."

"I know," I say snootily and Nik laughs loudly.

Bekah appears and knocks on the door, "what are you two plotting about?"

I keep a straight face and allow Nik to do the explaining. Luckily, Bekah believes him. When she leaves, Nik pricks my finger with a sharp needle and collects some of my blood in a vial. He's right, it doesn't hurt.

I feel proud of myself because I'm protecting my family by allowing Nik to make hybrids. I'm not a useless baby like they sometimes think I am.

For once, I don't find it hard to keep it secret. Later on in the afternoon, 'Lijah sits with me and tries to help me with my reading again but I refuse to wear my googly glasses so he eventually gives up.

"Henry can help you more now Hedda," 'Lijah smiles in understanding. "I taught him well and you'll get used to him guiding you. I know you don't like your glasses and I don't want to force you at the moment. You're safe and unharmed, that's what matters most."

He goes silent, reflecting on how hurt I have been multiple times recently. He blames himself I know it, that's why he's letting me do what I want. He's just relieved I'm safe.

"I love you 'Lijah, thank you for looking after me even when I'm naughty and not telling me off."

He pulls me onto his lap and I hug him tightly. He jokes about my admission that I'm naughty sometimes so I take it back quickly.

"No, I'm actually never naughty," I shake my head, telling a big fat lie which makes him chuckle more. His laugh makes my chest feel all warm and happy. It's my favourite thing in the world, making my family happy. It always has been.

Kol and Nik suddenly interrupt us, angrily yelling at each other and 'Lijah has to intervene. Apparently Koly is looking for something to take control of the prophecy himself but I don't understand what that means and no one will tell me.