Chapter 4

Introducing....

Ms. Madge- an elder in the community.

Mr. Simore- a boastful elder in the community.

Stacy- The client.

____________________________________________

●●November●●

Entering a new month brings joy to my spirit as the Christmas feeling starts to erupt inside of me. This is the last month before Christmas and it's not just me that is excited because as I walk down the lane, I can hear Ms. Madge radio playing pure Christmas carol and Mr. Extra Simore have him Christmas tree already up and to decorate. I never see a old man love competition so just to boast that a him first buy and put up Christmas tree.

It didn't take me too long to reach to my nail salon that is located in the square of my community where there are several other small business.

I shuffle inside of my bag for the keys while sending Monique a message that I am here. It's her day off so I asked her to come give me a hand with these seven clients I have for the day and that's why I have to be here so early.

As soon as I reach inside of the salon, I switch the lights on and quickly get some cleaning done so that the client can feel welcome in a freshly scented and clean environment. It is a small space consists of my nail station, a suitable bathroom, a seating area that I place a grey sofa for the client to sit, a small fridge that is stock with juices, two wall-fan and a tv to keep them entertain. I made sure all the juices are pack on the fridge then I turn on the television and allow some 90s souls to play.

"Kayla" I hear someone call my name.

Monique walks in with two small cup that looks like tea and a paper bag. She place them on the table and put her bag a way while I send a message to my first client of the day. I am expecting her to be here already and worst I will be busy the entire day.

"A wah yuh bring?" I asks Kayla while taking up the paper bag and looking inside for my self.

"2 coffee and some flittas fi ketch up we stomach cause me no get fi look after nth and me know yuh no lobe cook" She answer.

"Mummy mek porridge and me just taste lil cause a no my thing that" I reply before taking a bite out of one of my saltfish fritters. "One thing with banton enu, him can cook yuh fart" I moan at the delightful taste on my tongue.

"A mi fi tell yuh... so weh the girl deh, how she no reach ya yet?" Monique inquires as she look around.

"Mi nuh much long text her enu and she say she deh 5minutes away, them eva a mek early appointment and late" I grumble then take a sip of the hot coffee.

"All dem fi.... A mussi she dis ya" Monique pause as a taxi stop infront of the salon.

The girl walk inside of the salon making apology for being late. I get to work on her nails right away and did glad that she never want anything tall or fancy. She just want straight royal blue acrylic with gold designs on her middle fingers and gel polish on her toes. This will take me like a hour and a half to complete and maybe get a five minute rest for the second client.

The second client appear earlier than expected so Monique glue on her tips for me and file them down. She is not good at nails like I am but I teach her some things so when I have a full day and she's free, we work together.

"Yuh fren a come Kayla" Monique say using her lips to point towards the door where I see Shantel making her way inside.

"Mawning" She greets dryly and tek up seat.