Chapter 59: Clash of Steel!

***Amaya's POV***

"Not if I can help it." I state, having readied my weapon. "Lu," I called, not taking my eyes away from the Warlord. "Go on ahead. I'll catch up, but don't interfere. He'll cut your arms off in a second."

He didn't move likely from his previous experience with the swordsman back at the Baratie.

"Now Lu. I'll be at a disadvantage if you're near." My voice hardened.

My tone seemed to snap Luffy out of whatever was on his mind as he activated his second gear and fooshed away.

"You think that your blade will be enough to save your friend, Goddess?" Hawkeye questioned, holding his gigantic sword in one hand.

"Only one way to find out." I flashed forward using lightning before our blades clashed, sending sparks of their own.

Despite the added speed with the rumble fruit, I could see his golden eyes trail my every move. His experience and high skill level were already presenting itself.

"A swordswoman," he spoke as our blades pushed against one another. "It's been awhile since I've dueled a true one." He commented.

I added some extra strength to provide some space between the blades to throw in a few quick attacks. Each was countered in a flawless form.

"A worthy opponent. It's been awhile since I've even removed the sheath of my sword." I remarked as our sparring of strength turned into one of speed and precision.

I was able to parry or block each blow using my enhanced speed I gained from the rumble fruit. I was able to send an attack on occasion, but he would either dodge or block it with his own sword.

His blows started to gain more strength behind each impact, sending air slices through the air towards surrounding battles.

Seeing that his slices were affecting other battles, I positioned myself where his slices would be aimed towards marine groupings instead of the pirates. When going against a master of swordcraft, it's essential to make even your defense a decent offensive, especially during a war.

To conserve energy, I started to dodge more blows instead of counter them since they were now headed for random marines.

Hawkeye's eyebrow slightly raised in confusion as I suddenly changed my tactic when my previous one was still effective.

Once the surrounding marines were decimated, I reengaged in a steel on black steel battle. We continued to go back and forth until we were pushing against each other's blades once again.

"Why do you fight a battle you don't even care for?" I questioned between deep breaths as I steadied my breathing.

"Why fight a battle you can't win?" He retorted.

"Depends on your definition." We swing out swords to clash before becoming locked in the middle once again. "Even if I die, if I can save my friend then I still win."

"Why waste your talent?" He questioned in his still steady voice.

"What point is talent if I can't protect the ones I care about?" I sent a flying slash of my own, scraping up the ground in the process as it left a small ravine.

Naturally, he dodged before retaliating with a large horizontal air slice of his own. The frozen ice mountain was now cut nearly in half, making the top half crumble into pieces as it fell.

"I don't know what fate has in store for either of your friends. Move aside." His voice commanded.

"Sorry, but I've never believed in fate. Only in the work that I've put in to make my dreams a reality." I retorted as I sent a huge air slice to knock the falling ice shards away from the people below.