Chapter 6

SATURDAY - MAY 29, 1976

Sarah groaned as the tent flapped opened allowing the morning light to shine in on her.

"Good morning!" Midgie's voice sang out, entirely too loud for Sarah's pounding head. "Pete's making pancakes, are you going to get up, sleepyhead?"

"No." Sarah's mouth felt dry, and she still tasted the wine in the back of her throat. Or maybe it was the wine coming back up, she couldn't tell and didn't want to think about it. She pulled the pillow over her head. "Just let me lie here for a couple minutes.", she whispered as she drifted off again.

When Sarah made her way out of the tent, a half hour later, Sam was sitting at the table with Pete and Midgie eating pancakes. He smiled when he saw her, she had on last nights tee shirt, and a baggy pair of boxers; her hair was loose and jumbled around her shoulders and down her back.

He didn't think he had ever seen any girl look so sexy. He patted the bench beside him, "Good morning, beautiful. How did you sleep last night?"

She groaned as she sat beside him resting her head on his shoulder.

Pete motioned towards the end of the table. "Aspirins are right there for you."

Sarah whispered, "Thank you" and reached for them, then poured herself a cup of coffee. She took a couple bites of the pancakes he set before her, then pushed the plate away. Her stomach was churning.

Sam looked down at her in concern, "I didn't know you would be so sick this morning."

Pete let out a low chuckle, "She'll be ok, she just gets this way on wine." He looked over at her, "A hot shower will make you feel better."

Sarah nodded, and held onto Sam's shoulder as he helped her up.

Midgie let out a loud laugh, she hadn't paid too much attention when Sarah came out of the tent, but she saw her now. "Girl, what in the hell are you doing in Pete's pajamas?"

Sarah looked down, seeing that she was wearing the boxer shorts Pete wore to bed. She looked over at Pete, who just shrugged his shoulders, trying not to laugh.

Sarah sounded confused as she said, "I don't know, they were the first thing I grabbed this morning." She turned and shuffled into the tent.

Sam had sat quietly through it all, watching carefully. He tried not to let his mind dwell on the image of Sarah and Pete together. He made up his mind not to read too much into it.

Sarah came back out of the tent with a puzzled look on her face. "I can't find my other shoe." She looked over at Sam. "I had them both on last night, right?"

He nodded in agreement, adding, "When I left here, you had both shoes on."

Midgie got up from the table with a sigh, "No more wine for you, Sarah." She opened the flap and walked into the tent, then reappeared, holding the missing shoe. "It was over by Pete's bag."

Sam's hand jerked, spilling his coffee. As he wiped it up, he kept telling himself that he was imagining things.

Midgie announced she was going to the showers with Sarah, "Somebody has to go make sure she can find the way. That girl cannot handle her wine." She shook her head as she followed her.

It was quiet at the table after the girls left. Pete concentrated on his pancakes, eating a huge stack, hungrily.

Sam glanced his way, "Sarah told me that you've seen me sing. Where was it at?"