Chapter 36

Sam was able to get a 1:15 p.m. flight to Reno to meet the band. He waited at the gate for the next two hours, propping his feet on his duffle and kicking back in his seat.

He kept his glasses on to cover his bloodshot eyes. He had a lot of thinking to do.

Sarah was moving on with her life, while he had put his career in jeopardy over her. It was time to start focusing on his future. He had to get his act together.

As he sat there, Sam took out his pencil and paper that he always carried in his bag. His mind was overflowing with lyrics.

When he boarded the plane two hours later, he pulled out the two Valium that Trish had given him. He bought a small bottle of whiskey from the stewardess to wash them down. Then he laid back his seat and slept for the entire five hour ride.

***

Pete held Sarah in his arms and rubbed her back while she cried. His muscles were still tense from the encounter with Sam, but his anger had waned. He knew that Sarah was suffering, more than ever, now that it had ended completely. He hated to see her in any kind of pain.

But he was feeling relieved, the ordeal was over and she could start the healing process.

"Baby, it will be okay." He said soothingly. "Can I make a suggestion?"

Sarah nodded against his chest.

"You have two choices here. Either you can stay cooped up in here...or we can go do something. I talked to my dad and he agreed that I should stay with you. We have to stop in at the restaurant anyway." Pete heard Sarah's crying slow down.

"We burned the bacon." He added, wryly.

Sarah gave a watery laugh. "Leave it to you to think of your stomach!"

"I can hear it growling!" Pete's stomach obligingly made a rumble, causing Sarah to lift her head and laugh, wiping her eyes.

"Ok, let's get breakfast." She sniffed.

"Maybe after breakfast we can go look at couches." Pete stopped, looking at Sarah, quizzically.

"I guess, that is, if you still want to move in? I mean, now that..."

Sarah looked at him and thought about it for a second. "Pete, there were a lot of times, in the past few weeks, that I've needed to you to comfort me. I've missed that safe feeling, and here, with you, I have it back." She laid her head down on his chest. "You've always come to my rescue. From keeping me from falling out of trees to helping me recover from falling in love."

"Alright, then after breakfast, we'll look at couches." Pete smacked her butt. "Let's get dressed. I'm starved!"

Pete was deep in thought as he chewed on a strip of bacon. Washing it down with a gulp of coffee, he spoke up. "You know, I've been thinking." He narrowed his eyes at Sarah. "Why don't we check with Dave and see if there are any two bedroom apartments for rent?"

"What about when I go back to school?" Sarah asked.

"I could still live there, your bedroom will be there whenever you come home." Pete said, logically.

Sarah sipped her coffee as she considered it. "Ok." She said. "But while I can, I'll split the rent. I'll be going back to work for my dad next week."

Pete stood up and reached for her hand. "Let's go see Dave about an apartment."

Dave shook his head when he heard their request. "Nope, sorry, I haven't heard of any two bedroom places. Most of the apartments around here are in the old duplexes, second floor with only one bedroom." He sat back in his chair. "Why don't you try that apartment complex on Lake St.? They have two bedroom units, balconies, even a pool."