Chapter 38

MONDAY - JUNE 28, 1976   

Sarah was woken up by the sound of the phone ringing. She jumped up to get it, only to hear Pete's sleepy growling voice as he said hello. She ran into the kitchen and stood by his side as he asked the caller to repeat his name.

Pete looked at Sarah, warily, as he held the phone out. "This is Tex, do you want to talk to him?"

Sarah grabbed the phone from his hand. "Yes! Tex! How the hell did you get my number?"

Tex chuckled, "Directory assistance, honey. Luckily, your friend's number isn't unlisted. I wanted to find out how you're doing. Have you been eating?"

Sarah laughed and turned away from Pete's inquisitive look. She leaned against the counter. "Yes, I'm eating, silly! I told you, I'm not anorexic. So, how have you been?" Sarah looked at the clock. "It's only 6:00 there! What are you doing up so early?"

"Ah, well, honestly?" Tex laughed. "I haven't been asleep yet." He reached over and rubbed the rounded cheeks on the ass of the blonde, asleep beside him.

Sarah giggled. "And what have you been doing?"

"You know me, honey. Never say no to a girl." He paused. "Even when she says someone else's name."

Sarah smiled, sadly, as she remembered. "Sorry about that. You know I was messed up that night."

"Yeah, I know. Oh hell, anyway, I just wanted to know if it's true, what I'm hearing about you?"

"I don't know. What have you been hearing?" Sarah asked, cautiously.

 "Did you really move in with someone? Already, honey? I didn't even know you were leaving that day. I would have been right there, with my arms open."

Sarah saw Pete moving around the kitchen, making coffee and getting his breakfast, so she went around the corner, into the hall. She slid down the wall and sat on the floor.

"You won't tell Sam that you called me, right?" She asked, her heart pounding.

"No fucking way! If he knew, he'd be pissed, for sure. I'm doing this on my own. I wanted to see how you were doing. I was a little surprised when a guy answered. I didn't believe it when Sam said you had moved in with this other guy. It sounds like maybe you're alright. Are you doing okay with this whole break up thing between you and dick head?"

Sarah spoke thickly, through the tears. "It's tough, you know? How is Sam?"

"I think he's hurting as bad as you. I was with him last night. He was busy drowning his sorrows in whiskey. Alone." Tex could truthfully say this. He told Sarah about how he had gone out, a couple hours ago, to get something from the vending machine and had seen Sam blearily stumbling at his door, trying to get his key in the knob. Tex had unlocked the door for him, then closed it after he saw Sam drop down on his bed and pass out.

"Well, that's good, I guess." Sarah felt relieved.

"He's going to miss you pretty bad when he sobers up. Are you sure you don't want to come back? I'm sure you two could patch things up. He loves you, Sarah. No matter what happened with Gisette."

Sarah closed her eyes when she heard that name. "I can't do it anymore, Tex. I can't tag along with him, like a groupie, just waiting for him to love me. He had his chance, and he blew it."

"I wish I had met you first, honey. I would have held on to you and never let you go." Tex whispered into the phone. "You would know that love every night. I would make sure of that."

Sarah squeezed her eyes shut to stop the tears. "I believe you,Tex. I'm sure you would have."

"Sarah, I didn't call to make you cry. I just wanted to make sure you're doing okay. Can I call again sometime?"