Chapter 31

Sarah sat at the kitchen table, across from her mother. She lit a cigarette, and her eyes flitted around the room, restlessy. She couldn't look at the sympathy that was on her mother's face. She had told her nearly everything that had gone on and now she was waiting for a reply. She felt her eyes tear up again and she wondered how she had any tears left, she had been crying so much in the last twelve hours. It had been twelve hours since she had left Sam. That thought hit her and she felt the cold, hard pain in her chest. It still seemed unreal.

Jane set her cup down, slowly, as she thought of what she wanted to say. She took Sarah's hand in hers and spoke in a low comforting tone.

"I was worried that this would happen because you are so much like me. We do things on impulse."

"Mom, I fell in love. When I first met him, he was everything I ever wanted."

"Trust me, when I tell you this. I know you had your heart broken. I know what that feels like. But it will heal, Sarah. Time goes by and your heart does heal."

"Have you had your heart broken before?" Sarah asked, sadly.

"Yeah, honey, I did. And I went through everything that you're feeling. But after awhile, I met your father and he filled my heart with so much love that it was whole again. It will be ok, you'll see. Now, I think you should go lie down. You've been up all night and you have to get some sleep."

Jane crossed over to her daughter, helping her up from her chair. She wrapped her arms around Sarah, who put her head on her mother's shoulder and cried.

"C'mon, honey. Get some rest." Jane led her up the stairs to her room and onto her bed. Tucking in the covers around her, she kissed her cheek. "We can talk more when you wake up." She left the room and closed the door quietly behind her.

Jane ran into her bedroom as she heard the phone ringing. She quickly picked up the receiver and answered, whispering so Sarah wouldn't hear.

"Can I speak to Sarah, please?" Sam's anguished voice came through.

"No, Sam. Do not call here anymore! She doesn't want to talk to you." Jane hung up the phone, then sat on the bed. Immediately, it started ringing again. With a determined look, Jane picked up the receiver and put it back down, hanging up on the caller that she suspected was Sam. Then she picked it up again and set it beside the base. Taking the phone off the hook was the only solution to the problem.

Sarah listened from the door to her room. She had gotten out of bed and crept over to open it a crack when she heard the phone ring. The pain in her chest flared hot as she realized it was Sam on the other end. All she had to do was go take the phone and she could hear his voice. But she didn't think she could bear to hear what he had to say, so she had hid behind the door listening as her mother talked to Sam, then hung up.

She knew when it rang again that Sam was not giving up. Now Sarah saw her mother take the receiver off the hook and set it on the table. She closed her door, then went back to her bed. Sitting on the side, she reached into her bag and pulled out the pill bottle, shaking out the last two pills. She popped them in her mouth and swallowed them dry, then lay back down, pulling the comforter over her head.

Sam stood at his window and watched the other members of the band, gathered around in the pool. He knew, from the occasional glances towards his window, that they were talking about him. And Sarah.

He had given up on trying to call her anymore; he knew that the phone was off the hook. And he had, at last, calmed down, with help from Trish and her little pills. He felt like a zombie, unable to eat and unwilling to sleep anymore.