Chapter 54

MONDAY - FEBRUARY 27, 1995

"No, Sam, she doesn't want to talk to you. She won't look at any  of the things in the box, won't listen to your music. It's so  frustrating!" Shannon held the receiver tightly. Her mother had been so  stubborn this weekend. Shannon was finding it hard to keep her promise  to Uncle Pete, not to argue with her mom.

Sam rubbed his chest, the ache was still there. It had started up when he got the letter from Shannon and it refused to go away. "Please  try one more time!" He tried to keep his voice normal, but his insides were shaking. He felt frustrated, he wanted to talk to Sarah. He wasn't  about to let her keep shutting him out of her life.

"I'll try." Shannon sighed and walked towards Sarah's bedroom door.

Shannon knocked on the door, then opened it to find Sarah, sitting on her bed, her arms wrapped around her knees and her forehead resting on  them. She held out the phone, deliberately leaving the mouthpiece uncovered so Sam could hear.

"Please, Mom, talk to him." She said, softly.

"No, sweetheart. Please, I really don't want to." Sarah pleaded.

Sam heard Sarah's voice and his legs gave out. He heard the pet name that Sarah called Shannon and he sat on the hotel  bed, rubbing his fist against the pain that pounded in time with his heartbeat. "Please, Sarah." He begged silently in his head.

Sarah shook her head, she couldn't look at her daughter. To look at her now and see those blue eyes was too much for her. She could feel her resistance wearing down and it scared her.

Shannon put the phone back to her ear; she sat by her mom, rubbing her back. "You heard her, Sam."

"Yeah, I did. I know you can't force her to talk to me on the phone." Sam said. "Tell her I said it's okay, I understand."

"Mom." Shannon whispered. "He said it's okay, he understands."

Shannon covered the mouthpiece. "He sounds so sad."

Then Sam had an idea."Tell her that we will talk someday." He  paused. "And tell her it will be mind blowing."

He prayed that Sarah would remember the last time he had told her that; it had been in reference to the first time they would make love. "Say it just like  that."

Shannon sounded confused as she said okay. "Mom, he says that you two will talk someday, and it will be mind blowing." She ended the statement with a questioning tone in her voice. She heard Sarah's sharp intake of breath.

Sarah sat very still. Finally, she reached for the phone. "Give us some privacy please."

Sarah watched as Shannon danced out of her room, then she held the receiver to her ear.

"Hello, Sam." She said. The pounding of her heart was so loud in her ears, she was sure that he could hear it.

"Sarah." Sam laid back on his pillow and smiled, the ache was slowly receding.

The line was silent as they both waited. What do you say to someone  that's been an important part of your life, but that you haven't talked  to, for nearly nineteen years? How do you apologize for a lifetime of  hurt?

"Sweetheart, we have a beautiful daughter." Sam whispered. "You've done a great job."

"She has the best of both of us, Sam." Sarah paused as she felt her  throat closing up. She took a sip of her beer, glad that she had thought  to grab one on the way. Then she spoke and filled the silence that was  growing between them again. "I'm......" Sarah stopped and took a  deep breath, exhaling quickly. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."