Chapter 37

Sam had played a few slots, and lost some money, so he decided to hit the roulette tables. He started out cautiously, playing $50 on odds, when it won, he played $75. After a few more wins on different bets, he was feeling lucky enough to put $100, straight bet on black 13. He held his breath as the ball rolled and dipped around the wheel before it finally came to rest in the black 13 cubby. He smiled coolly as the chips added up in front of him.

"Good play, there, Sam!" He heard Tex's voice behind him. Sam gathered his chips and headed for the cashier's window, he didn't want to press his luck too much.

Sam pocketed his money and turned to Tex. "So what's your plans for tonight?"

"Just hangin' around, seeing the sights. I was losing too much money, so I had to ease up a bit. Want to go get a drink?"

They walked out on the main street, joining the crowd on the sidewalks.

"I hear that Sarah isn't coming back. Sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, well, I guess it was time to move on." Sam tried to sound casual. "What's that saying 'lucky at cards, unlucky at love'? I think that counts for roulette too."

They found a bar on a side street and sat on the only two empty stools that were open. Tex turned to Sam, but his eyes had wandered to the girl sitting to Sam's left. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes, and the most sensuous red lips he had ever seen. She was watching him in the mirror behind the bar, the lips curved into a flirtatious smile.

"There is the fucking sexiest girl, sitting right beside you." He said to Sam, keeping his voice low. "I might just have to talk to that one."

"Yeah?" Sam slid his eyes over to the mirror and saw her looking at Tex. "I think you're gonna get lucky tonight." He said out of the corner of his mouth.

"I'll let it simmer for awhile." Tex met her eyes in the mirror and gave her a slow smile. He turned back to Sam. "Tell me what went on with Sarah."

Sam gulped his whiskey, emptying the glass and motioned to the bartender. "Keep them coming."

"She's moved in with Pete. I was at his apartment, their apartment." He said, dryly. He picked up his full glass and drained it again, and slid it across the bar for a refill.

"Who is this guy, Pete?" Tex asked curiously, as he made eye contact with the blonde again.

"His name is Pete Newsome. They go way back, they have a history, but Sarah was always very vague about it." Sam said.

"A history? You mean like you and Gisette?"

Sam paused with the glass to his mouth. He sat the drink down and thought about it. "Yeah, maybe. How has Gisette been since she came back? With the group, I mean. I know I gave her a hard time."

"She's been concentrating on her job, if that's what you mean." Tex said, shortly.

"You don't like her, do you?" Sam raised an eyebrow and looked quizzically at Tex.

Tex curled his lip in disgust. "No, I think she is a fucking spoiled brat. She was terrible to Sarah." He looked at Sam. "Don't get me wrong. She's doing a great job as our road manager. But as a person, nope, I think she's a fucking bitch."

"She's not a bad person, Tex." Sam said encouragingly. "She gets anything she wants, I'll agree to that. But she really works hard, she wants to prove to her father that she can do this."

"Whatever you say, you know her better than I do." Tex stood up, emptying his glass. He had noticed the blonde was getting ready to leave. "I'm going to meet that gorgeous girl. I can already see those red lips wrapped around my cock."