Chapter 53

Shannon had Cody drop her off at the Newsome's house after a quick glance at her house told her that her mom wasn't home yet. She dreaded the confrontation that she knew was coming up.

Cody had told her that Uncle Pete was angry. Pete had ripped into him before he had a chance to finish what he was saying. As soon as Cody had explained where Shannon was, Pete was out of his chair, leaning over his desk, his eyes blazing fire. At least that was how Cody had described him. Shannon couldn't imagine Uncle Pete that upset. He always seemed so easy going and friendly, she had a feeling she was going to see a completely different side of him now.

Aunt Toni answered the door, stepping aside to let Shannon in. "He's in the kitchen, honey." She murmured.

Toni turned to go up the steps to the second floor, then paused and looked at Shannon, speculatively. "I just want you to know, I think you did the right thing."

Shannon nodded in appreciation. "Thanks, I'm glad you're on my side." She said nervously.

Pete looked up from where he sat at the kitchen table. He motioned towards the chair across from him. "Have a seat, Shannon." He watched as Shannon crossed the kitchen and sat quietly in the chair, folding her hands in her lap.

Shannon looked up at him through her lashes. "Don't be mad, please." She said. "I had to meet him. I've wanted to know who he was for years."

Pete sighed. "Shannon, you have no idea. None whatsoever."

"What do you mean?" Shannon looked at him in confusion. He was being much calmer than she expected. This quietness was making her uncomfortable.

Pete got up, shoving his hands in the back pockets of his jeans as he walked towards the kitchen sink. He stood and looked out the back window, across the snowy back yard and over the frozen lake. His eyes were distant, staring at nothing as he began to speak.

"When your mom left Sam and came back home, she was a basket case. A total wreck. He had messed with her mind so bad. I was afraid for her."

"He was just as bad!" Shannon interrupted him.

"Are you going to let me finish?" Pete looked at her, cocking his eyebrow. "I don't give a flying fuck how bad he was! I was worried about Sarah."

Shannon let out a gasp at the venom in his voice. "So, it's true!" She held her hand over her mouth, her eyes were round with surprise. "You two were involved."

Pete ran a hand through his hair, as he sucked in a deep breath. "I was her friend, Shannon." He crossed his arms, turning to lean against the counter. "She needed someone to lean on, to help her through it. You have no idea. You see your mom now, she's so confident, and has everything under control. Back then, she was just an innocent young girl who had just had her heart stomped on. She was falling apart."

Shannon looked at Pete, suspiciously. "So, when you two lived together..."

Toni walked into the kitchen, her eyes were on Pete as she addressed Shannon. "Your Uncle Pete was your mom's best friend. He was the best one who could help her get her head straight. She was doing okay, getting better. Then she found out that she was pregnant with you. She made the decision that she was going to do it on her own, as much as possible."

Toni placed her hands on Pete's back as he turned to look out the window again. Shannon watched in fascination as Toni's hands massaged the tenseness from his shoulders. Pete turned and pulled Toni against him, resting his cheek on the top of her head. Shannon felt like an outsider as she watched the tender moment. She sat quietly, waiting for someone to speak, to explain what was causing this scene she was seeing played out before her.