Chapter 7

Sarah pulled into the small parking lot beside the hardware store just as Pete walked out the door.

He spotted her car and walked over, leaning in her window. "Hey, how are ya doing?" He smiled happily to see her.

Sarah returned the smile, looking closely at his face. He looked happy to see her, but she saw the lack of sleep, hidden in his grey eyes, and the dark smudges under them. 

"What's the plan for tonight?" She asked brightly.

Pete shrugged and stood up, checking the sky. "I don't know, I don't think we should go out on the lake, I heard it might rain tonight. It looks like it's clouding up. Do you want to go to a movie? I'm buying."

"Yeah!" Sarah nodded enthusiastically, "The Kris Kristofferson one. Please," She leaned out the window and put on her best fake pout. "Please, Petey, take me to see my Kris."

Sarah was madly in love with Kris Kristofferson, she practically swooned when she saw him or even heard his scruffy voice.

Pete squinted at her and did his Kris Kristofferson impression. "You look really foxy when you do that, baby, and I was going to take you to see him," He paused and cocked his eyebrow up. "Until you called me by that fucked up name."

Petey was the name his mother used to call him when he was little, and he always hated it. Sarah loved to tease him with it.    

Sarah winked at him, playfully. "Please, Pete," she emphasized. "Please take me to see Kris."

Pete sighed, over dramatically, "Ok, I guess. Meet me back at the house. God, the sacrifices I make for you......"

Sarah giggled as she watched him in her rearview mirror.

The main street past the square was the one Sarah and Pete lived on. The old homes lining the street were mostly Victorians, the original structures from the beginning days of the city. The ones on the left had back lawns that sloped to the lake, separated by a natural stone wall that dropped down 12 ft. to the rocky shore.

This was the direction Sarah and Pete turned, into side by side drives, divided by a small section of grass. Their homes were mirror images of each other, with wrap around front porches, the front doors had side lights on each side and an arched stained glass topped them.

Four tall windows graced the first floor, with matching windows for the rooms above them. At the opposite ends of each house was a rounded turret with circular windows, one for each floor.

The only difference between the two homes was the color of the gingerbread trim along the eaves; Pete's home was painted a dark blue and Sarah's, a bright red.

Sarah got out of the car and met Pete in the grass between the drives. "I should check in with my parents."

She didn't really have to, they knew she was at the campground. But since she was leaving the car here, she knew they expected her to pop in and say hello.

Pete nodded in agreement, "Stop over when you're ready."

Sarah heard the TV blaring the local news when she entered the foyer. She waved her hand as she passed the arched doorway of the living room and called out a hello to her father, then walked down the narrow hall to back of the house.

She followed the smell of baked chicken and found her mother standing at the sink, washing the dinner dishes.

"Hey Mom, I just stopped in to say hi, I'm bringing back your car."