Chapter 55

Sarah saw Sam the instant he appeared. The light from the lobby cast him as a silhouette against the door. His face was shadowed as he gazed around the room, but Sarah could still see a sparkle in his blue eyes, a reflection from the glow of the dimly lit room.

Her eyes drank in the sight of  him and she sighed. He still looked too good to be true. His button down oxford hugged his broad shoulders and trim body, the shirt tails were untucked and loose over his snug blue jeans. Her eyes traveled down his long legs and she smiled when she saw that he still wore the same style of black boots.

Sarah looked up and waited for Sam's eye's to connect with hers. She felt a jolt in her heart when they did. Then it took up a rapid beat and she felt her face getting flushed as Sam walked closer. She took a deep breath as he stopped in front of her, his hand gripped the back of the seat beside her.

Sam reached out his hand, cupping her face as he ran his thumb over her cheek. "You are even more beautiful, Sarah." His voice caught on her name. He swallowed against the lump in his throat as Sarah pressed her cheek into his palm.

She slid off her chair and into his arms, wrapping hers around his waist and squeezing tightly as Sam's hands ran over her back, pulling her closer. Tears ran freely, creating a damp spot where her cheek rested on his chest.

Sam held Sarah firmly against him, his arms tightening around her. He ran his fingers through her hair and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

Sarah swiped at her cheeks, then placed her hands on Sam's chest, looking into his face.

"I'm sorry, Sam." She whispered painfully. "I'm so sorry."

Sam's hands trailed over her arms, catching Sarah's fingertips up and pulling them to his lips. He kissed them lightly, then lowered them to rest on his chest as he caressed her hands between his.

"I am too, sweetheart." He smiled sadly and Sarah saw his dimple deepen and his eyes sparkled with unshed tears. Sarah's hand automatically went up, her fingers stroked the groove in his cheek as she returned his smile.

The pounding of her heart was now joined by the butterflies that had stirred up inside her. She took a shaky step back from him, breaking the spell as she reached for her wine glass and tilted it to her lips, draining it. Sam continued to hold her hand, caressing it tenderly with his thumb as he watched her.

Sarah set her glass down and looked up at him. She felt herself being drawn in deeper as she looked into his eyes.

Sam pulled his eyes away to scan the room. He led her to a small round table in the farthest corner, pulling out her seat. "I'll be right back." He whispered into her ear.

Sarah shivered as she felt his warm breath on her neck. She held her hands tightly in her lap and took several gulps of air, trying to calm herself as she watched Sam walk to the bar.

***

"I thought we could both use a drink." Sam placed a wine glass in front of her. He sat across from her, sipping from his glass of whiskey.

He smiled as he set his glass down and picked up her hand, lacing his fingers with hers, and leaning closer to her. His voice was teasing as he smiled, wickedly. "I remember a certain morning when you had a hangover from wine."

Sarah laughed as she also remembered that morning and the night before it. "I also drank most of that bottle, if I remember right."

Sam felt the glow of warmth in his chest at the sound of her laughter. He looked down at their joined hands on the table, studying them, thoughtfully.

"That's the first time you called me sweetheart. The night of the bonfire, do you remember?" Sarah asked. She saw the sadness in his face.

"I remember it all." He said, softly. "Every single second."

Sarah heard the pain in his voice and hers echoed that pain as she spoke. "So do I, Sam." She gave him a small smile. "I see you in Shannon every day. She is so much like you."

"I still have a hard time sometimes wrapping my head around the fact that we had a baby together." He recalled for her the night he read the letter from Shannon. "When I looked at that picture of her, right away, I knew."

Sam paused. "When were you going to tell me, Sarah?"

Sarah's eyes traveled over the wall behind him, as if searching for the answer. She picked up her glass and took a large gulp of wine for fortification. This was the question that she knew he would ask and she had tried to prepare for it, but it still wasn't easy.

Sam put his hand under her chin, forcing her to look at him. He leaned in close and Sarah felt his breath on her cheek.

"I know why you didn't tell me at first." He whispered. "But, sweetheart, all these years?" His fingers stroked her jaw, caressing it as his eyes held hers.

Sarah took a deep breath and licked her lips. She saw the blue darken in Sam's eyes as he drew nearer. She closed her eyes when she felt his lips touch the corner of her mouth, moving gently to center on her lips for a light kiss. She rested her forehead against his, drawing strength from that light touch of his lips.

"I was waiting for the right time, Sam." Sarah rubbed her nose against his cheek, feeling the tickle of his eyelashes. "I was waiting for you to settle down."

Sam groaned as he covered her cheek in feather light kisses. "God, the mistakes we've made."

He stood and pulled her into his arms, his fingers trailed over her cheek and across her jaw. "Isn't it time to stop making the same mistakes?"

"Let's try, please, let's give this another chance." Sam whispered as he pulled her closer.

***

In the elevator, Sam held her and continued to stroke her face, kissing her cheeks, staring into her eyes.
"I've missed you, Sarah. You're the only one that can calm me, the only one that makes me feel this way." He whispered.

Sarah recognized the love in those crystal blue eyes. She knew that there was no backing out. She knew that she didn't want to back out, she wanted Sam. Whatever hurt they had caused each other in their past was done, there was no taking it back. Now there was only their future, and the hope that they could make it last this time.

Sarah stepped into Sam's room as he closed the door behind him. She held her breath when she saw him open it again to hang the Do Not Disturb sign on the outside knob.

Sam turned from the door and faced Sarah, running his hands over her back, and pulling her up for a kiss. Sarah met his lips with her own eager ones. She felt his tongue searching for hers and her heart pounding as they reconnected in the long slow dance.

Sarah's hands shook as she unbuttoned Sam's shirt, the hairs on his chest tickled her fingers and she slid her hands inside to feel his warm skin. She felt him shiver as her fingertips feathered over his abdomen and dropped to the button on his jeans.

He pulled her up for another slow, deep kiss as his hands ran under her sweater and over her nipples, feeling them peaking under his thumbs. She held her arms up, and they separated only long enough for Sam to pull her sweater off.

The kiss was getting heated as his tongue flickered against hers, drawing back and pushing in, promising more and building up to a fire that was leaving them breathless.

They undressed each other, exploring with their fingers, their lips and tongues, reveling in their memories of each others bodies, as they made their way across the room. Sam guided Sarah back onto the bed, moving with her until his body covered hers.

Their eyes locked, their bodies moved as one, and their hearts joined to beat in sync.

Talking would come later.