Chapter 42

Pete put Sarah back in her bed, then went to the phone to call Midgie. He told her about the phone call this morning and how Sarah reacted. He ended it by saying, "She cried herself out. She's calmer now, but I'm scared for her, Midgie. Can you come over?"

Midgie was there in 10 minutes. She went back into Sarah's room and sat on the bed beside her. Sarah scooted up to sit cross legged in the bed.

"Why would he do that, Midgie?" Sarah asked sorrowfully.

"I don't know. I don't understand a lot of what he has done to you." Midgie answered her friend truthfully. She took a small pill bottle from her purse, putting it in Sarah's lap. "You told me before that you took Valium. I got some from one of the clients at the shop. I think you should take them."

Sarah picked up the bottle, looking thoughtfully at the small pills inside. She bit her lip and looked at the clock.

"It's 2:15, if I take these now, I will sleep for a few hours." She looked up at her friend, sadly. "I'm supposed to be at my parents' tonight for dinner. God, I can't face them tonight."

"I'll call your parents and explain. I'm sure they'll understand." Midgie said soothingly. "Take the pills and get some rest."

Sarah took two pills and swallowed them. "Will you and Dave still come over tonight?"

"Do you want us to?"

Sarah nodded and lay her head on her pillow. "I'll sleep for awhile, I'll wake up when you get here." Her voice was devoid of any emotion, she felt numb all over. She just wanted to go back to sleep and wake up to find out that it was all a bad nightmare.

Midgie closed the bedroom door and went into the living room.

Pete was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands. He looked up when Midgie sat down in the chair. "Is she okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, she's going to sleep for a little bit. I gave her some Valium." Midgie said. "She doesn't want to go to her parents for dinner. I told her I'd call and talk to them."

"Thanks, Midgie. Do you think we should still get together tonight?"

"She said that she still wants us to come over. What do you think?"

"If that's what she wants. Come over, we'll all get fucked up and play some games or something. Anything to keep her mind off that motherfucker." Pete ran his hands through his hair as he stared at the floor.

"I agree with that." Midgie got up and went to the door. "Call me if you need anything else. And Pete?"

Pete looked up. "Yeah?"

"You better take one of those Valiums yourself. I can see how shook up you are."

***

Sam was digging through his duffle for a clean tee shirt when he remembered that he hadn't done the laundry. He dumped the bag on the bed in frustration, then stopped when he caught the whiff of Sarah's perfume.

He picked up the Harley shirt she had left behind, holding it to his nose and inhaling. He set it aside, then continued to sort his clothes, preparing to do his laundry. He found a few more items of Sarah's in his bag and he set them over with the shirt.

Gisette was in her room, working, but he had been too restless to stay there. He wanted to come back to the solitude of his room. His mind was full with thoughts of Sarah and he knew he wasn't good company for anyone right now.

After taking the first load to the laundry room, he came back and sat in the chair, softly playing his guitar. He wanted to call Sarah, to tell her he was sorry, but he knew he'd never get through to her.