Chapter 10

Jane Winston eyed her suspiciously, "Tell me the truth, Midgie. Was this the plan all along? You girls are getting too wild. I don't understand what has gotten into you two."    

"Oh no, Mrs. Winston!" Midgie answered quickly. "I swear we didn't plan this!" Midgie sat at the kitchen table facing Sarah's parents as they sat across from her. Her fingers entwined nervously on her lap and she looked down at them, muttering,  "I didn't even know until this morning."

 "And where was Pete? He was supposed to go with you." Jane reached for her cigarettes and Midgie saw her hand shaking. Midgie realized how badly Sarah's mom was shaken by this, and she wished she could say something to help her.

"I'm sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Winston, really, but Sarah knows what she wants." Midgie sighed. "She won't change her mind on this. But Sam will take good care of her, I know. She will call you soon."

Midgie's next stop was at her mom's salon. She was due to start work, and knew there was no way she could do that. After a brief explanation, and brushing off her mother's questions, she set out to find Pete. After nearly an hour of frustrated searching, she found him at the campground helping Dave repair a broken shower head.

"I need to talk to you." Midgie dodged a spray of water as the guys laughed at her.

Pete saw the serious look on her face and hopped down from the ladder. "What's going on?"

"Sarah stayed in Cleveland with Sam. She is going on tour with him." Midgie blurted it out in a rush, then cringed when she saw Pete's face. Hurt showed first, then changed to anger, and then rage.

"I'll fucking kill him!" Pete clenched his fists, tightly.

Dave stood beside him, putting his hand on Pete's shoulder. "Calm down and think about this first, Pete." He continued as he felt Pete shrug off his hand.    "Sarah went because she wanted to!"

Dave raised his voice, trying to get through to Pete. "She wanted to go with him! Do you understand?"

Pete looked over at Midgie and saw her nodding in agreement. He stepped back and looked at them both.

"Ok, then that's Sarah's choice." Pete shook his head, sadly, as he flexed his shoulders to loosen his tight muscles.

Midgie spoke around the lump in her throat, "She said she would call."

WEDNESDAY - JUNE 2, 1976

Sam felt Sarah move beside him, and he snuggled her closer to him, smiling as she curved her leg around his, tangling their feet.

"Good morning, beautiful." He'd been awake for awhile, listening to her soft breathing as she slept. He had feasted his eyes on her face, the small dip of her nose, the curve of her lips. He leaned forward to kiss the top of her forehead and he caught of whiff of her soft fragrance. He paused to inhale again and it filled his senses. He didn't understand the power she had over him, and sometimes it left him breathless. 

After a rocky beginning the first day, things had began to smooth out. Whatever Trish had told Georgie must have worked; he was coming around to having Sarah with them.

Gisette had been the worse, yelling and screaming at him after pulling him aside at practice.  

Last night, after the show, they loaded up their gear and drove the short distance from Columbus to Cincinnati.

Sam and Sarah followed behind on his bike. They stopped at a few rest areas, just to sit on a picnic table and talk, snuggle and steal a few kisses before catching up to the bus.