Chapter 25

WEDNESDAY - JUNE 16, 1976

Sarah was awoken by a soft tapping sound. She lay still and listened as she heard her name being whispered. When it was repeated a second time, she realized it was coming from the doors that connected the two rooms.

She started up and then fell back as she saw that Sam was sprawled across her, she was pinned under his arm and leg. Sarah pushed him away, while calling out that she'd be right there. She grabbed up Sam's discarded tee, slipping it over her head, while opening the door to greet Trish.

"Oh my god, Sarah, we gotta talk!" Trish began as soon as she walked in the room. She looked over and saw Sam stirring around.

Sarah saw Sam moving around also. She was dying to talk to Trish, but she wasn't going to do it in front of Sam. "How about the lobby? Give me a few minutes." She asked her friend.

Sam sat up in bed and squinted at Sarah as she ran around, getting dressed.

"Where are you going?" He mumbled, still half asleep.

"I'm meeting Trish for breakfast." She threw the words over her shoulder as she closed the door.

"Oh fuck!" Sam groaned and fell back on his pillow. Trish was going to chew his ass out. Worse than any ass chewing she had ever given him. And in the past year, she had given him a hell of a lot. She had the ability to send him on guilt trips worse than a mother could.

Trish watched as Sarah walked across the lobby. Her hands were jammed into the pockets of her blue jean jacket and she'd left her hair down; it was wavy, floating behind her as she walked. Trish thought that she seemed more sure of herself. She was liking this new attitude she was seeing in Sarah.

After giving Trish a welcoming hug, Sarah steered her towards the coffee shop that adjoined the lobby.

As the waitress poured their coffee, Trish arched an eyebrow and looked over at Sarah.

"It sounds like everything fell apart while I was gone."

Sarah took a sip of coffee then set the cup carefully in the saucer, her eyes on the steaming cup.

"Yesterday was a day from hell." She looked at Trish, guardedly.

"First, let me say one thing, Sarah." Trish reached across the table for Sarah's hand. "I know that Georgie slept with Cherry. He didn't have to say a word, his face said it all. I'll deal with him in my own way."

Trish gave a bitter laugh. "He knows he will have to pay for that one."

"How do you put up with it? Why do you let him do this to you?"

"I've learned that he strays, but he always comes back to me. I guess you could say we have an agreement between us, in that respect. Whatever happens while we're apart, either with me or with him, we still go back to each other...." Trish paused, " I have to admit that I haven't always been faithful to Georgie. But we love each other. I can't imagine not being with him."

Sarah looked at Trish and she felt a chill go down her spine. What Trish just said could very well be hers and Sam's future. "No." She said adamantly. "I can't do that."

"You have to do what you feel is right, Sarah. Just as I do. Now, tell me about your day from hell."

Sarah recounted her day, finally ending with her agreeing to stay.

Trish listened, shaking her head in disgust with herself.

"I'm sorry that I didn't believe you when you told me about Gisette before. I should have known what she was up to. Please say you'll stay, no matter what. I'll help you. I can help keep an eye out for anything else she tries to pull."