Chapter 15

Sarah woke to the feel of Sam's hand, as he ran it across her cheek. She felt him sit on the bed beside her.

"Hey beautiful. How are you doing? Trish told me you were having a bad day." He kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry if I caused some of it."

Sarah licked her lips, nervously, her mouth felt dry. "What did Trish tell you?"

"She said you talked to your mom and were homesick. She also gave me hell for the way I've been acting." Sam smiled wryly.

Sarah twisted around to look at the clock, "It's three a.m.! Have you been in Georgie's room all this time?" Sarah listened for any noises coming from the room next door, but all was quiet.

"No" Sam got up and paced the room, nervously. "I went back there, but I didn't stay long."

He looked over at Sarah. "I left and went for a walk. I needed to do some thinking."

Sam came back and sat beside her again, holding her hands in his. "Let's go for a ride. Did you know there's a lake here?" He smiled tenderly at her, and his dimples deepened.

Sarah nodded, her eyes wide. "You want to go to the lake, now?"

"Yeah, I think we have to get out. Let some of that breeze off the lake blow through your hair. Spend some time, just you and me, away from the group." Sam's hands reached around Sarah and started loosening her braid. He slid his fingertips through it, spreading it over her shoulders.

"You're beautiful, Sarah. And I haven't been taking care of you. You're not happy, and it's my fault."

He pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. "Let's just go for a ride, ok?"

The streets were quiet and empty at this time of the night. Sarah held tight to Sam as they glided through them. They found a beach access road and pulled into it, stopping at the chain across the entrance.

"The beach is closed." Sarah said quietly. The silence of the night was magnified as Sam shut down the engine. She could hear the waves as they came in and broke on the shore.

Sam swung off his bike, helping Sarah off, also. "Since when does that stop you from going to the beach? I thought you liked breaking the rules."

Sarah tipped her chin up as Sam unhooked her helmet, nipping at her lips as he slid it off ."Let's break some rules, sweetheart."

They sat on the sand, Sarah tucked in between Sam's knees. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. The breeze off the lake caressed her skin as it blew gently across her and the sounds of the waves soothed her, lulling her into a serene silence. Sam's arms were wrapped around her and felt warm against her cool cheek.

Sam lit a joint and held it to her lips; she hit it and held in the smoke, feeling it expand in her lungs.

"Look at the stars, sweetheart." Sam said in awe, he blew the smoke across her neck and she felt his lips tickle behind her ear.

Sarah looked up at the sky, the stars splashed across the blackness. The brightest sparkled like diamonds against a backdrop of glittering smaller ones, reaching down to float on the waves of the lake.

"They look close enough to touch." Sarah whispered and held her arm out. "It's like I could just reach out and take a handful."

Sam nuzzled his nose in her hair and squeezed her tighter. "I would give them all to you, if I could."

He sounded sad as he asked her. "Do you want to go home, Sarah?"

Sarah let out a gasp. "No! Why would you think that?"