Chapter 44

THURSDAY - JULY 1, 1976

Pete and Sarah were at the apartment offices at 8:00, picking up the key to their apartment.

They stood outside the door to their apartment, looking at the number.

"302" Sarah said in awe. "That's our new address." She looked down at the key and smiled.

Pete surprised her by swinging her up in his arms, "Unlock the door, let's check it out."

They were laughing as he carried her in, but both stopped as they stepped inside. Sarah slid out of Pete's arms and looked around. "It's fantastic! It seems so much bigger than the model. Look!" She ran into the living room. "We have a balcony! And we can look down on the pool!" She opened the sliding door and ran out. "Pete! This is so cool! Come look!"

Pete stepped out beside her and looked down on the pool, glistening in the early morning sun. He pulled Sarah in for a hug. "This is ours, baby!"

She wrapped her arms around his neck. "Ours, Pete. Can you believe it?"

"I think we should christen every room in here." He whispered against her lips.

Sarah kissed him, then whispered against his lips. "Starting now."

***

Sam pawed through the pile of clothes he had washed; when he had moved to Gisette's room everything got thrown into his bag. Finding a tee shirt, he pulled it on, looking over his shoulder at Gisette.

She was still asleep, curled into his pillow. He knew he had given her a raw deal last night. He should have stayed in the room after...... well, after that happened. Sam still didn't know for sure if it was caused by his sudden thought of Sarah, but he suspected it was. He looked down at his wrist, his daily reminder.

Gisette couldn't possibly believe that he could treat her like he did Sarah. They were going to have to talk about that.

He started to straighten his bag and he noticed a skirt that belonged to Sarah. He held it up, looking at the buttons down the front. He remembered unbuttoning those buttons the first night they made love. Depressed with his thoughts, he threw it down.

As he continued to go through his bag, he found a few more items, a pair of earrings, and a few pairs of lace bikini underwear.

He put everything in a pile, reaching for the Harley shirt to add to it. He held it to his nose, then shook his head and put the shirt back in his bag with his clothes. He couldn't part with that, yet.

Sam took the record album out from the bottom of the duffle. It was one that everyone had signed personally for her. The one that he had promised her on that first day that they had met. He added it to the pile.

Sam sank to the floor, leaning back on the bed; he pulled the pile next to him, laying his hand on the top. With a sigh, he laid his head back and closed his eyes.

"Are you getting rid of that stuff?" Gisette asked him, startling his eyes open.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with it."

Gisette slid across the bed and put her chin on his shoulder. "I really think you should do something. Either throw them away or send them back to her."

"I can't throw them away!" Sam was exasperated.

"Well, you can't keep them. It's just creepy." Gisette sounded annoyed.

Sam looked sideways at her. "Yeah, I guess it would look that way to you . You know, you and I are going to talk here."

He walked to the windowsill and turned to face her, his arms crossed against his chest.

"First of all, let me tell you right now, I still love Sarah. I don't know if I will ever stop loving her. I treated her bad. And it was with you. We are married now, but you should know, I will never love you as I do Sarah "

Gisette walked up and leaned against him, running her fingertips over his mustache. "I know that there is love for me somewhere inside you. I will find it."

Sam stared into her eyes, his own were cold, emotionless. "I don't think so."

"I'm going to take a shower, you can join me, if you'd like."

Sam sat in the chair and picked up his guitar. "No, I'll stay here."

Sam picked up the pile of Sarah's belongings and walked to the bathroom. "I'll be back in a sec, I'm running over to see Georgie." He yelled over the sound of the shower then left the room.

Trish opened the door and let him in, eyeing the things in his hands. "What are you doing with that stuff? It's Sarah's."

"Yeah, I know whose it is." Sam said. "I just thought that maybe you could send it to her, for me. Like you did the photo album. It's her things that she left."

Trish looked through the items. "This is all stuff that she bought on our shopping trips. Except for that skirt, she wore that the first night she was here."

"Can you do it for me?" Sam asked. It never occurred to him till now, that she had left all the things that she had bought while on tour.

"Yeah sure, I can take it now to the front desk. They'll be able to box it up for me." Trish took the pile from him and set it down. "How are you doing today? You were pretty trashed when you left here."

Sam shrugged his shoulders. "Ok, I guess. I won't say no to a drink now, though." He held up the joint he had brought. "We can smoke this with it." He cocked an eyebrow at Georgie, who stood up from the chair and started pouring out some whiskey.

"Sounds good to me." Georgie said.

Sam reached in his back pocket, "I almost forgot. I wrote Sarah a letter, would you put that in the box too?"

Trish took the envelope, carefully. "Ok." She scrutinized the front, trying to see through the paper.

"Hey! It's private, if you don't mind!" Sam growled.

Trish looked up, offended. "I know!" She shrugged her shoulders. "I was just curious."

Georgie chuckled. "Just being nosy, is more like it."

Trish shot him a look, then picked up Sarah's things and the letter. "I'll be back in little bit."

"Don't even try to read that letter!" Sam warned her.

Trish slammed the door as her answer back to him.

Trish returned 10 minutes later, reporting that the package would be picked up and should be delivered to Sarah's parents house tomorrow.

"You didn't read that letter, did you?" Sam asked.

Trish looked at him in irritation. "No, you had it sealed!"

Georgie let out a loud laugh. "It's probably killing her to know what it says."

"I just told her that I love her. And I understand why she left me. I told her I was sorry." Sam said, quietly. "I'm not asking her to come back. I know it's too late for that, now."

Trish watched as Sam turned away to hide the sad look on his face. She went to him and hugged his back. "Sam, I'm sorry."

Sam patted her hands that were around his waist. "I know, Trish."

She stepped away and sniffed loudly. "I think we should go hit some slots or something."