Chapter 18

Trish was looking at the pictures as they left the 1 hour photo booth. Sarah's mind was on the pool, wondering what Gisette had been up to while she was gone. She tried to speed up their steps, but Trish lagged behind as she flipped through the pile.

Sarah had to keep stopping to look at a picture every few steps and she was getting impatient.

"Sarah!" Trish stopped and held out a picture, "Is this your Pete?"

Sarah took the picture and looked at it and her heart quickened when she saw the look on Pete's face. She stopped beside Trish and stared at the picture. She had taken it the first night that they had all gathered in the tent.

She had called Pete's name and snapped the picture when he turned to her. Now, looking at the picture, she saw the love in his smokey grey eyes and the cocky smile that he was giving her.

"Wow, he is really cute!" Trish studied the picture, then pointed at the corner of it. "Hey! There's Sam!"

Sarah looked closer and saw Sam in the background, he was watching Pete with narrowed eyes.

"Looks like you caught Sam at a bad time. A little jealousy going on there?" Trish teased.

Sarah shook her head, "No way. He knows he has no reason to be jealous." She took her friends elbow, tugging her forward. "C'mon, it's so hot out here. Maybe we can still go swimming."

"I don't know." Trish was still looking at the picture as she walked.  "Pete is really sexy."

They entered the motel parking lot and Trish said she was going to take the pictures to her room. Sarah searched the pool area, seeing Sam and Gisette secluded in a corner of the pool, while the others were scattered.

Sam had an arm on each side of the pool edge, trapping her. Gisette leaned back on her elbows. Their bodies were closer than Sarah liked. Sarah didn't like the intimacy that was so obvious between them.

Sam dipped a hand to swirl the water around them and Gisette tossed her hair back, exposing her long neck. Sarah heard her laughter as it drifted across the parking lot. She saw Gisette look her way and say something to Sam.

Sam looked up and saw Sarah coming across the parking lot. He swam away from Gisette and towards the side of the pool, calling Sarah's name.

Sarah kept her cool, she was not going to show Gisette how much it bothered her. She knelt down and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Then she turned towards Gisette and called out a hello, trying to be very casual and friendly. She clenched her teeth and forced a smile aware that Sam was watching her closely.

"Gisette was just telling me about the meeting they had yesterday." Sam smiled up at Sarah as he lowered his voice. "She's really turning around, making an effort to be nice."

At the restaurant that night, Trish and Sarah sat together. Sam was across the table with Gisette sitting beside him. Sarah didn't know how the seating situation turned out the way it did, but she knew it was manipulated by Gisette.

Sarah watched as the two of them were in their own little world, talking and joking with each other. She hated when they talked in French!

Occasionally Gisette would say something to Sarah, but in the end, she got edged out of their conversation. As much as she tried to hide the look on her face, it showed that she wasn't happy about it.