Chapter 1

It came from the shadows – sitting, observing, and waiting. Humans were unaware of what walked these halls, their naïve nature almost amusing. Almost. When facing these creatures their ignorance is what got them killed. Made them only stronger. If only those with mortality could understand how fragile their lives truly were, these creatures cursed afterlives would've been wiped from their existence in an instant. The threat. Spine pressing against the cool stone their calculating eyes watched as two passed in clothing not entirely suited for the modern outside world. Though these damn bastards had no intention of fitting in, stuck in their own ways. Cocky bastards.

"Be sure that tomorrow a group is given a private tour," a voice spoke in Italian.

The two figures passed the small space, causing their eyes to narrow. "Of course, master."

As their footsteps disappeared from the hall, the observer melded into the shadows as if it were a cloak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you understand why you're here?"

Many of the vampires in the room refused to make eye contact with the intimidating brother. He stared them down, while the Elite Guard stood tall with composure. The blonde known as Caius wasn't a patient individual. Nor did he tolerate incompetence. And lately, their hand picked members due to their skill sets have been severely lacking.

"Something has been in this castle," Caius spat.

"Did they take anything?" Felix asked. The executioner of the coven, who stood towering over all the others in the room.

"Not that we are aware of," another brother on the dias, Aro, answered.

Aro was more level headed and rational. Though given the situation, the individual could be just as bad as the blonde.

"That is not the point," Caius stated. "Where was our security? To allow something to enter the castle– We could be exposed!"

Many in the Lower Guard flinched. Fearful of what punishment may befall them.

"Demetri, I want you to track this intruder and bring them here before us," Aro ordered.

"Of course," the guard member answered. As one of the coven's greatest assets, the individual could locate anyone in the world once finding their trail.

"Where has this intruder been?" Jane asked.

The shorter female with blonde hair possessed no expression on her face. As if this intruder were not worth the time and effort.

"Ah," Aro breathed with a grin. "That is the mystery of our little visitor. They leave no traces of themselves behind. But we all are aware someone has entered a room by the very atmosphere that lingers."

"You speak as if you were a human," Caius growled. "Only they are too simpleminded to listen to their instincts."

"We are as vulnerable as a human would be in this situation. And until this matter is settled only then will we all feel at ease."

The blonde's head snapped towards the Guard. "I want all of you to your stations now! And make certain they don't get in again."

As the Guard quickly exited the throne room the Elite Guards fell in line beside one another. To further investigate the castle for any clues.

"This could not be the work of a human," Felix stated.

"No, they wouldn't be as graceful and clever," Jane agreed. "Find this vampire, Demetri."

The tracker smirked, indeed excited about a challenge.