Chapter 2

It was humorous at the thought that by increasing their number of guards, the coven could keep whatever it was that snuck in out of their home. Once more the shadows shifted as eyes watched Aro sit at the desk. He rubbed his temple with long fingers as the other hand held the piece of paper in the candlelight. Sighing, the brother stood before making his way out of the room for much-needed 'air' to clear his mind. As the door clicked shut the intruder slunk out of the darkness across the carpet towards the strewn about papers.

How foolish of them to think that the matter at hand should be taken lightly. Shifting through the reports carefully their eyes skimmed the contents. Many reigned from various inhabitants in the Austrian region asking for assistance, as expected. There were bloodbaths. The bodies were piling up. But not at an alarming rate that would need immediate attention. Still, if this went on too long though there could be problems. Setting the papers back in place they retreated into the shadows of the candlelight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You haven't found anything?" Caius roared.

Months passed and the Guard had yet to find a lead regarding their mysterious intruder. Though their presence may not have been felt in the castle for some weeks the vampires didn't rest easy. And now the Elite Guards grew nervous of the brother's wrath.

"This vampire is different," Jane said.

The brother was immediately in front of her, whose eyes casted towards the floor. As if a child knowing they had done something wrong. The brunette vampire by her side, Alec – her twin brother, tensed a bit in worry for his sister.

"I don't care if they are different, your job is to find them," he hissed. "How can we declare ourselves to be the most feared vampires in the world if our own Guard is incompetent?"

"Now, now, brother," Aro said. "It appears that this vampire has a gift."

Slowly, Caius drew away. If Jane were alive she would've released the breath she held in anticipation for a punishment.

"This is most intriguing. We must find this vampire. I would like to witness these gifts first hand."

The door opened as Heidi filtered in with a note handing it off to Aro. The dark haired vampire was stunning in appearance as always.

"It seems the matter in Austria is not resolving itself," Aro reported.

"If this continues on," Marcus, the final brother said, "I fear we will be exposed."

The situation may be dire, yet his tone expressed the opposite. Marcus was apathetic, as if bored in this immortal life. He was always like this since the death of his wife centuries ago.

"This is not the work of a vampire," Caius retorted. "It's the damn Children of the Moon. Vile, wild dogs who think they are the superior breed."

"The matter of our intruder will have to wait," Aro said. "Jane. Alec. Demetri. Felix. The four of you will travel to Austria to help our brothers and sisters rid of these mutts and regain their land. Pick those who will assist you in this endeavor carefully. There will most likely be a battle. This issue will not resolved itself quietly."

"We will return to this... issue when you return," Caius said.

Displeased that this matter would continue for the time being with more questions than answers. The blonde's eyes swiveled in the direction of one of the guard members.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself, Demetri?"

The vampire's back straightened. Daring to stare the brother in the eye to show no fear.

"You are the best tracker, yet you allow yourself to be tricked by a lowly vampire. I'm disappointed."

"It won't happen again, master, that I promise," Demetri answered.

"Be sure it doesn't or I will dispose of you myself for your uselessness."

All knew that wouldn't happen. The tracker was too valuable to the coven to be rid of, but the threat remained. If Caius couldn't kill him, torture would do instead. The vampire forced himself not to shiver in response. Making their way down the hall Demetri glared, irritated over the fact that he was unable to track this individual.

"What will you do, Demetri?" Felix asked.

"Hunt."