Chapter 57

When Felix and the twins returned to Volterra alone it at first concerned the brothers that their tracker was missing. Aro expected Demetri to remain behind in order to search for Kahlen in her absence. Needing to come to terms on his own that his blood singer left for the time being for his own safety. But upon seeing the expression on their faces, and the state of their appearances Aro became alarmed. The smell of Kahlen's blood came to their attention from what lingered on them.

"What happened?" Aro wondered.

Grasping each of their hands to gather information the vampire was left feeling sick over the events that transpired near the border. Upon seeing his worry, Caius asked,

"What's wrong?"

It was then Felix realized, "They're not back yet?"

And no news on Demetri and Kahlen's whereabouts were discovered in the coming days. Aro sent out some of the Guard to try and find something, but it was a fool's hope. All knew Demetri was skilled in the art of tracking, but that went for hiding as well. He knew how to cover his tracks.

Barely a week into their sudden disappearance a letter arrived at the castle. Marci swiftly walked through the halls before entering the throne room. The brothers were currently crossing off the territories they had no success in, and were joined by Santiago, Chelsea, Afton, and Felix, all who had been the most recent to return. Their attention turned to the human, who held the off-white envelope out to Aro with a worried expression. And there was reason to be when seeing the maroon colored seal on the back, a raven with its wings spread wide in the hardened wax.

"You recognize this symbol, Marci?" Aro questioned.

"I've never seen it before... but was told what it stands for," she said. A long time ago during one of her talks in the kitchen.

Taking the item, the vampire broke the seal, removing the contents inside.

"Who is it from?" Caius asked.

Aro didn't say anything and handed it over for the blonde to read it himself. Then it was Marcus's turn. Caius began to pace.

"A meeting is in order," Marcus spoke. "You have been summoned to England, brother.

"This is obviously a trap," the blonde snapped. "They want him to go alone, unguarded, with the possibility, and likelihood they will bring their own forces. And they will wait and hide until the precise moment to strike and kill you."

"We are on the brink of war," Aro stated. "And before that happens, we need to try and assemble some sort of peace once more."

"If we can't?"

"Then we can only hope it will end quickly. But we have to try without violence first or everything could fall out of balance."

No one liked the sound of that. Aro took the letter back.

"Renta will be with me, of course. But she will need to keep her distance to not provoke a preemptive start to this looming war. I will leave at first light."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was overcast in England as Aro's car drove through the streets outside of Manchester, through a high-class area. He watched mortals walk the streets without a care in the world, unaware of the implication that could take place should these negotiations go wrong. It wouldn't only be the vampire and hunter world that would be affected. Innocent blood would be spilled in the process. Pulling to a stop at a curb, the door opened moments later by a valet driver allowing Aro to exit.