Chapter 11

It grew late when Demetri returned and this time with food. Hours passed since the human's last meal meaning she must be starving by now. Upon opening the door he expected the hunter to be on the offensive near the doorway as normal, but she continued to sleep on the bed having not moved an inch. His nose picked up a peculiar scent in the room, quickly setting the food on the table near the couches before observing Kahlen carefully. He knew that scent.

"Are you an idiot?" Her visible eye peeked open to stare. "What vampire puts their face that close to a hunter while they are trying to sleep? You're asking to get stabbed in the face."

He was only mere inches away.

"Maybe I was hoping you'd be asleep," he smirked.

"Nice try," she mumbled, lids closing sleepily. "What do you want?"

"It's time to get up."

Brows pinched, the young woman stared at the vampire with confusion. "It's after midnight, why the hell would I get up?"

"You're bleeding."

Now more awake the scent hit her full force. A hand came up under the nose only to pull away and be covered in red.

"Damn it," Kahlen swore, turning to lie on her back.

"Why did that happen?" he asked.

"It's usually after experiencing a 'high' like what happened in the throne room. It's been so long since the last time I forgot–"

The young woman choked, palm fully covering her mouth before blood spewed from her lips and nose. Demetri was startled as the human quickly sat up and tried to make her way towards the bathroom. He was at her side in an instant to assist as the hunter stumbled, drops of blood steadily falling to the floor as it leaked through fingers. He pulled up the toilet seat and Kahlen found herself emptying the contents of her stomach moments later covered in blood. When there was nothing left the hunter began dry heaving, one hand clutching the toilet desperately as the other raked back the bangs and loose strands of hair to keep them away. Her shoulders shook while gasping for a proper breath. Demetri didn't honestly know what to do, but whatever he was witnessing couldn't be good. There was a lot of blood.

"You should really get out of here," she rasped, breaking him from his trance.

He watched the human gather saliva before spitting into the bowl. The heaving had halted. Why did her blood have to smell so appetizing? Even after cutting off the sense the moment he saw the red liquid leak onto the pillow he could almost taste it on his tongue. And it nearly made him want to sink his teeth into her and risk the hunter's wrath. The scent alone began to drive him mad. He never felt that way towards any of his meals before and it made him restless.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because there's a lot of blood and I'm not about to allow you to go all murderer on my ass. Out."

The vampire chuckled drily. "Sounds to me like you're worried about my damn conscience."

"Keep dreaming."

Her eyes eventually closed leaning against the cool surface. Bloody handprints covered the outside, while the liquid stained her hair as well. Moving swiftly towards the sink and wetting a cloth the vampire returned to the hunter's side tilting her face in order to clean away the lingering blood.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said.

Lazily, Kahlen watched him through hooded eyes as the vampire focused on cleaning the areas of visible skin. She didn't understand him. Their species weren't friendly towards each other in the least. And in a way Demetri almost appeared concerned. How... unlike him.