Chapter 41

The hunter woke up three more times with aggressive dry heaves. It left the throat raw, chest aching, and eyes tearing from the force.

"What do I do?" Demetri questioned when the second bout finished.

He sighed heavily when she only shook her head with closed eyes, face still hovering over the toilet. His head bowed so the forehead rested against the nearest shoulder.

"Tell me what to do, Kahlen, so I can help you."

"It just..." she croaked, "has to run its course."

He didn't believe that though, watching the way her hands shook while gripping the rim. She was afraid.

Aro came by once while the young woman slept to check on her condition. Also relaying to Demetri that their guest would be arriving within two days to examine Kahlen's condition. The tracker wasn't quite sure who the brother called, very certain there weren't many capable of handling a hunter's condition. But they had little options on the matter. She wasn't getting better as quickly as she did in the past. Marci checked in like clockwork every few hours to refill the water glass in the room. The only time Demetri ever interfered with the mortal's rest to get her to drink as much as possible. She didn't have to like it, protesting a few times and only wishing to rest. But the tracker refused to give in. She needed to hydrate from all the blood lost.

When Demetri was called away from the young woman's side to join the Guard in the throne room he was hesitant. Till Felix stepped up to stand watch in his absence. Still, he wasn't pleased about it, but needed to feed as well to not place Kahlen in danger. The Guard did that first before making their way to the throne room. All were surprised to find that the guest was none other than Carlisle Cullen.

While the Olympic Coven in Forks, Washington was one they kept in contact with, having a few interesting vampires in their family, they weren't exactly on friendly terms for a number of reasons. One, for instance, occurred when their mind reader, Edward, took a liking to a human and revealed their secret. It took the coven years to finally turn the girl who stirred up quite a bit of trouble regarding another vampire. Honestly all the trouble they went through for her could be viewed as a headache. She was the only one to enter Volterra castle and leave alive. And when she managed to produce an offspring with her vampire mate before being turned, it caused chaos in the vampire community.

There had been a rumor it was an Immortal Child, and those that broke the law were eliminated. The Volturi were forced to take action to investigate the matter as covens took sides with the threat of a battle looming in the air. When proven the girl was merely a hybrid, not an immortal, there were no deaths and the Volturi departed back to Volterra. Still, both sides were unnerved even years later from the close encounter that could have ended negatively. Demetri wondered if Aro threatened the doctor to come.

"Welcome, Carlisle," the brother greeted, standing from his chair. "I trust you had a pleasant flight."

"It was uneventful," the blonde vampire answered. "Thank you for sending a private jet."

"Well, this matter is of the utmost importance. If you would follow me."

The vampire was startled when he wasn't instantly interrogated on how his coven was doing. Seeing as how Aro was always curious about a number of vampires under his watch. Still, Carlisle nodded and followed him silently through the halls with Demetri close behind. No words were said as they moved through the castle, coming to the desired door where Felix was stationed. Bowing slightly in greeting, the brute moved out of their way and excused himself.

"She's right over here," the leader instructed as they entered.

Carlisle's brows pinched in confusion at the sight before him, looking at Aro quizzically. "A human?" the doctor questioned.

He could hear the slow, weak beating of her heart, her deep breaths, and flow of blood in her veins. This was no trick.

"Not just any ordinary human, which is why I called you for your expertise," Aro said. "None can know of her involvement here. Or her identity. I know Edward will discover your role here upon your return, and he too must keep this secret. Can I trust you?"

"Of course."

The brother explained whom Kahlen was along with what transpired in the throne room. As the ruler gave the rundown, Demetri stood beside the bed trying to wake her for the examination.

"My apologies, huntress, but it's time to wake up," he muttered in her ear.

The young woman groaned, lids sluggishly opening to stare at the tracker. "What have I told you before about getting your face too close when I am sleeping?" she grumbled.

"I'm sure I will manage just fine this time around," he tried to tease.

But the humor barely showed in his expression. So Kahlen didn't attempt to lighten the mood herself. She struggled to sit up as the vampire aided her without being asked. The hunter bit back a remark stating she didn't need the help, nor would voice she did. Remaining silent was the best option as Carlisle approached the other side of the bed.

"It is nice to meet you, Kahlen," the doctor greeted. "My name is Carlisle Cullen. Aro has asked for me to look over your condition."

"I'm fine," she stated.

The guest grinned. "That may be so, but they are still worried and would like a professional opinion."

"I highly doubt you've looked after another hunter before."

"No, I have not," he laughed softly, "but let me see what I can do to make you at least comfortable." After a moment of silence, the young woman finally nodded. "Please give us some privacy."

Aro led Demetri from the room. The tracker cast a final look at the hunter before the door closed. It wasn't till they left the hall completely that the doctor opened his bag to remove some items.

"Now then," he stated, "why don't we start from the beginning. Let's go through your history with these episodes. Explain them to me and we'll try to come up with an answer."

Kahlen wasn't exactly comfortable to share so much with a complete stranger. But something was wrong. She had somewhat of an idea as to the reason behind this, but couldn't be sure. An episode had never been this bad before and it slightly scared her. The hunter was in a tough place and did as asked. Started from the beginning.