Chapter 21

Kahlen could remember her shower very clearly, and the comfort of the bed even in a deep slumber. The young woman couldn't recall the last time she had craved the two so desperately. Maybe back in Norway that year when her mentor was still alive and they were tracking a rogue beast. It had been so cold the hunter swore she couldn't feel her fingertips for weeks after. The muck that had come off her was disgusting, watching as most of it ran down the drain. She was forced to clean up the rest before retiring to bed otherwise it would have ruined the shower. Kahlen nearly didn't make it to the bed. But the warmth of the covers was a very welcoming idea of comfort to ebb away the lingering chill of the rain.

It was nearly three in the morning when the hunter's eyes fluttered open from a dream. A memory of ghosts beginning to fade upon realizing there was a light in the room. And not from a lamp. The source came from the fireplace, pushing up a bit and glancing over a shoulder at the engraved stone.

"What the hell are you doing here?" came a groan from Kahlen's lips. A familiar silhouette sat on the couch before it, reading. "Don't you have anything better to do?"

Demetri chuckled, glancing towards the bed. "Obviously not. Besides, you were cold. And I take it you'd rather not be ill."

"I'm fine," she muttered.

"I beg to differ."

Sighing heavily, the hunter collapsed back onto the mattress, face half burying in the pillow. "Whatever... I don't have the energy to deal with you..."

The vampire listened to the young woman's deep breathing, but she wasn't completely unconscious. And a thought that had been bothering him since the throne room began nagging at him. He could have waited until morning to question the hunter, but in her state there was a chance the tracker could get a real answer out of her. Kahlen was always skating around certain topics. Not wishing to give everything away, but just enough and sensing emotions behind it besides amusement, annoyance, or being passive was hard to come by. Other mortals expressed their feelings very openly. Still, the Volturi had never come across a hunter before, so this was a challenge in itself.

"How dangerous was it really?" Demetri questioned. He'd found Felix later when Kahlen had long fallen asleep and the vampire had washed the grime from his body and changed into something appropriate.

"Life threatening," the brute answered. "Even for us." The tracker did not like the sound of that. "I will tell you one thing though, you've got yourself a keeper."

Demetri's brows furrowed quizzically. "What are you–?"

"Stop the act. At least around me." Felix straightened his collar, turning on the smaller vampire. "How long have we been partners in most of our endeavors over the years."

"Too long apparently..."

"And I know when you're interested in something and this specimen has done more than caught your attention."

"Careful," Demetri warned with narrowed brows. Though he was more irritated with himself for not being careful.

"You can't handle the truth that you're becoming attached. And that is a dangerous thing."

"You don't think I know that," he nearly snapped. And the reaction made the brute cock a brow. To see the normally stoic vampire's reaction to his notions was rare. How very out of character for him.

"I'm not against it..." Felix smirked. "But I will enjoy taunting you on this matter."

"Of course you will," Demetri grumbled.