Chapter 48

Days later Kahlen found herself in Aro's office. Demetri left on a mission with Alec headed west. The brother took advantage of the tracker's absence, seeing as how the guard member refused to leave her side. Even more so now since Carlisle made them all aware of her genetic condition. He wished to speak with her in private without anyone prying.

"Caius has made me aware of what your plans for Germany were before all this occurred," he stated, once situated. "My question is what happens now."

Kahlen's brow rose slightly at the question. That Caius would even remember their conversation and bring it to his attention, rather than Aro discovering this upon prying into his memories.

"I assumed that I wouldn't be of use to you anymore," Kahlen said. "Given the situation there is no cure and I'll become weaker as time goes on. And while I will most likely die sooner than I anticipated you can guarantee I'll hold out as long as I possibly can."

"And why would you think I would cast you aside so easily?" Aro asked.

"I was under the impression that the Volturi only looked for the best, perfection. I don't exactly fit into that category anymore."

He chuckled. "You are correct in that sense, but I make exceptions from time to time." That was rather surprising for her to hear coming from the brother's mouth. "While I do not wish to see you go, something tells me I would not be able to force you to stay."

No, though there may be one thing at the moment that would still tie her to the Guard. But prolonging this stay was not wise.

"While working with vampires has been an experience and... interesting to say the least, the longer I linger, the more danger you are in," Kahlen said.

"You speak of your superiors."

The young woman nodded. "The Council will most likely be searching for my whereabouts soon. Seeing as how I have not particularly been active in the field as of late. I've made my presence known in various areas given missions just to tip them off that I'm still about. So they think I was on my own personal assignments. But Makar's involvement made things difficult to follow through with my efforts being kidnapped and all. They may assume I could have sustained an injury and think I'm taking some time off to recover. But I'd be active by now."

"Except you are indeed sick."

Her expression grew serious. "If they think for some reason that I am unable to perform to the best of my abilities, if for one moment they see me as a liability rather than an asset, my career as a hunter will be terminated. I'll be black listed so none of my contacts within the community, which is limited as is, are allowed to help me in any way. Or they will be faced with serious consequences."

"You mean to tell me that you would be excommunicated?" Aro questioned.

He was rather surprised by how brutal the Council could be. The Volturi weren't saints either, releasing guard members that would no longer be of use to them. To add vampires with suitable gifts as replacements. But those let go would not be excommunicated from the world of immortals. They could find a coven to reside in, or return to the one they once had been a member of, even choose to be nomads.

"Exactly," Kahlen said.

"Why would you wish to work for someone like that?"

"It's not ideal... but it's the only way I can do the job I was trained for without any issues."

"You understand, though, that you are welcomed here."

"There's a slight problem with that. I'm mortal."

"An arrangement can be made."

She smirked. "You know, you're the third person to talk to me about this subject." That rather surprised him. Who were the first two? "But then that would put you in a very tough position."

"How so?"

"If a hunter is turned into any creature of the supernatural world they are immediately placed in the black book above all else to be exterminated on the spot. And it's not a matter that is resolved when someone unexpectedly stumbles upon this ex-hunter that the order is carried out. They are hunted without mercy or hesitation until they are removed from existence entirely. They do not rest. So becoming a vampire is a death sentence in itself to the one affected. And those involved in the process, if caught, are as good as dead as well. You'd risk a war due to my involvement with you, because if anyone within the Guard or you or your brothers bites me you'll all rally against them, along with your allies. It wouldn't end well for either side."

She was protecting them, which intrigued Aro. Kahlen wasn't a selfish person like many humans would be. Begging for life when there were no other options left.

"I commend you for saying something, and thank you for living with us this long," Aro said. "But I ask you to stay a few more months before going off on your own. I would feel better knowing you left healthy enough to survive alone and with a possible solution from Carlisle."

"Let me leave the castle then. For a few days. I'll stay in a hotel nearby and touch base with a contact I have here so the Council backs off."

"I can allow that." He watched her a moment longer before saying, "I want you to know that I see potential in you as a hunter and as a vampire. Should the time come to it, please think about this proposal."

"Even if your own life is on the line because of it?"

He grinned. "You should know I can be very persuasive given the situation."

Kahlen snickered, very amused. "I only hope I can witness that if it does happen." But hopefully things wouldn't come to a situation like that.