Chapter 33

Chapter Inspiration: Elevated by Deorro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly five months of torture passed and there didn't seem to be a single area of skin that hadn't been bruised at one point in time. And the thing that Makar loved was how quickly a hunter's body could heal. Unlike a human where it would take weeks, even months to heal from a 'simple' injury. Kahlen began to wonder after a time why the Volturi had yet to discover the camp's location. Maybe Caius prevented them from searching since he absolutely loathed her existence, though the feeling was mutual. The young woman held some hope in Aro and Marcus, but after three months began to question them too. As a hunter she shouldn't have grown so... attached. Kahlen hated that word.

Though Makar wasn't as smart as he liked to believe. First his followers were whispering again around the camp that guards from the Volturi were drawing too close. Second, the leader himself let it slip that despite the proximity, there was no chance of her rescue due to an inconvenience: a vampire lived amongst them that could mask scents. It was a ploy to get her to slip up and give up information without hope of someone finding her. After all, the gifted vampire hindered Demetri's tracking ability. Though how Kahlen saw it, the reason so many agonizing months passed by wasn't from their lack of searching and discarding her. Makar's admission provided the opposite results. It gave Kahlen newfound hope that they were finally nearby. The hunter bit her tongue and only glared in response. He couldn't break her.

"You are more intriguing than I first thought. I am very glad you were the one my children captured."

God how she hated that smirk he always seemed to wear. Grunting the young woman stiffly turned her head so an ear pressed against the dirt. She was absolutely filthy, the only time having 'bathed' was when Anton came in while she slept and poured an ice cold bucket of water on her. The first time it happened the hunter shrieked in anger and surprise, eyes honing in on the vampire. She managed to get to her feet quick enough to catch him off guard. Shoulder slamming into his gut brought them both to the ground violently. Kahlen nearly succeeded in breaking an arm clean off if it wasn't for Makar throwing her across the tent roughly. From then on Anton kept his distance when performing such a stunt.

The air grew colder, meaning winter started to set in. She wouldn't last the cold season with ripped clothing and nothing to protect her against the elements. This flimsy tent didn't retain heat, not that it mattered for a vampire. So now was as good a time as any to make a move. Through stiff and aching muscles both legs were pulled tightly into the chest allowing access to the muddy boots on her feet. Reaching inside, ignoring the pain in the wrists from how raw the skin was as it rubbed against the binding Kahlen pulled free the hidden dagger from Marta's shop. They hadn't been thorough in their search for weapons on her person. How lucky for her.

Facing the flaps that would open should someone come in her movements of slicing through the binds remained out of sight. It took nearly two hours to get through before starting on the ankles. It was early in the morning, but the hunter couldn't afford to pause. Makar liked to visit in the early afternoon so the sooner she could slip away the better. He wouldn't be near.

Finally free for the first time in five months from those damn restraints the shoulder joints popped in protest due to their constant awkward position and constant dislocations and resets in the torture process. Kahlen gaining her balance was a struggle at first once standing. Now was not a time to be weak, stashing the dagger once more. There weren't any weapons inside the tent, save for the table and chair. But breaking it apart would draw too much attention due to the noise. As Kahlen began to think of an escape movement came from outside. Instantly shifting to a front corner of the tent a vampire entered, ducking under the flap. An unknown bloodsucker, meaning they either came to see the hunter for their own sick enjoyment that something so powerful fell into their grasp or to feed without Makar's consent. Kahlen wasn't taking any chances as the vampire froze, seeing the ground before him empty. The hunter slipped behind his form silently. It was too late for him as he went to whirl around and warn the others. The hunter lunged, feeling the struggle of vaulting high enough to reach the shoulders and wrapping both legs around the neck. Her strength clearly lacked compared to normal, meaning there was little time to waste. A hand gripped the jaw in order to keep the mouth closed, while the other held the back of the head. With a swift jerk the neck snapped.