Chapter 35

"I'm still against the idea of you being there," Tomás grumbled. "You should be with us."

A smirk twitched at the corner of Kahlen's lips, relieved that in their retrieval of her none of his pack had been killed. The whole situation made Mónica sick with worry, having stayed behind to lead the pack in her mate's absence. Though expressed her wish to be there in the hunt. Someone needed to remain behind in case something bad happened.

"I had half a mind to snap that vampire in two," he continued to say over the phone.

"I'm almost sad you didn't rough him up a bit," Kahlen teased.

From his position in the medical wing where Demetri talked with the human doctor from town, he cocked a brow in her direction. Kahlen snickered lowly, shifting to dangle the legs over the edge of the bed. Nearly a week passed since being admitted and though her injuries were healing rather quickly her strength wasn't completely there. Walking was a bit unstable. The muscles suffered lack of nutrition, dislocations and resets, and strains from being tied up for so long unable to move properly. Even the escape and using her hunting side to defend herself presented a lasting side effect. She could move around, just not much for long periods of time. Such an annoyance.

"I really owe you one, Tomás," Kahlen said. "You didn't have to–"

The shifter scoffed on his end, "Shut up, Kahlen. You would do the same for us if one of my own was in danger."

True. She had come to their aid on numerous occasions, most of the time not even being asked. Sometimes the hunter showed up without warning if alarming info in their area reached her contacts.

"If anything, it was us who owed you. I'm only glad we made it in time." He grew silent for a moment. "I'll kill any vampire working under Makar for what they have done to you."

The alpha remembered seeing her while ripping through the bloodsuckers, enraged by the sight. It was almost difficult to recognize the once confident, strong hunter that would always be in his presence.

"I'll rip that brother's head from his body."

"You'll have to get in line," Kahlen said. "There are a few in Volterra who wish to do the same."

"Is that vampire one of them?"

"What do you think?"

"He's a strange one. I've never seen a vampire care so much for a mortal's life. Especially a hunter. And none has ever wished to ally with a sworn enemy."

"Yes, he likes to do things on his own sometimes."

Tomás hummed. "We will be in touch. I expect the Volturi to share any knowledge on Makar's movements. We will be doing the same."

"I'll be having a word with Aro if he doesn't."

She could imagine him smirking on the other end of the line. "Give them hell."

Hanging up, Kahlen glanced over at Demetri as he walked over. "You've been released," he stated.

"Finally." The hunter couldn't stand to be in that bed any longer.

"The brothers are busy at the moment, and won't be available to speak with you until tomorrow. What would you like to do?"

It was already the middle of the afternoon, the sun beginning to set outside. "Shower."

The entire time she stayed in the wing she had been subject to sponge baths from the doctor and nurse, but it wasn't ideal. The blood was gone, but not all the dirt and grime had been washed completely away.