Chapter 38

"It reeks," a vampire from a German coven stated. "Even from here I can smell them.

Demetri sighed quietly to himself while moving about their camp. The pack was only five miles from them, but their scent traveled the distance due to the wind. They had been the last to arrive and when vampires began catching whiffs of the mutts they began to grow anxious and anticipated an attack. It took some convincing from the brothers' that their presence was a welcomed addition to the fight at hand. That for the time being they allied to take down a common enemy. Many were not pleased, but upon learning that the shifters held a long hatred towards the Orlov brothers they decided to tolerate this allegiance for the time being. There were scouts ahead in the mountains trying to find the best place to engage Makar's forces. Somewhere open and out of sight should a human become curious or be hiking on a trail. It was also to be sure that the enemy wouldn't surprise them in any way. They needed to see them coming if they were ahead of schedule.

The forest remained silent. With the vampires mulling about never being able to sleep and waiting for daybreak, the shifters slept in their wolf forms to ward off the cold and protect them from danger. They were scheduled to move out at daybreak. And though they needed rest, Demetri wasn't surprised to see the familiar outline of a person ahead with their back to him. She nearly blended in with the dark clothing she wore, short blades strapped to the sides and an array of other weapons littering the belt around the waist. And of course knowing the hunter there were some other things hidden on her person. Which is why Demetri made his approach known.

"It's quiet," the vampire noted.

"For now." Kahlen glanced over at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I can't scan our borders?"

"To my knowledge that isn't your job."

"What's wrong with helping out?" Nothing. Absolutely nothing. "Besides, you should be sleeping."

It didn't make sense to deny it. She was still mortal and needed the basic human necessities when it came to surviving.

"I don't need to and can man the fort in your place. Get some rest."

"And have the possibility that one side may accidentally run into each other and start a fight before the real one even happens? No thanks."

"Don't you trust Felix and I to do our jobs?" Kahlen didn't answer. "You're uneasy about it, but we know what we're doing. The shifters and vampires won't hurt each other. They are too focused on keeping their existence a secret from the humans. And prevent an all our war throughout the continent. They will work together, for now... Even if they don't like each other's stench."

Kahlen snickered. "Very well, a few hours. But no more." The hunter sat down at the base of the tree leaning against it. "Wake me up if something happens."

"Of course."

As the minutes ticked by Demetri listened to her breath steady out. It was a chilly night and he removed his cloak to drape it over the mortal's form. To keep her warm. She wasn't completely under. One noise would probably send the young woman on edge and spring awake. Still, Kahlen needed rest and he wasn't planning on waking her anytime soon.