Chapter 17

"Today is indeed a special day, brothers and sisters," Aro grinned.

The vampire clasped his hands together in a rather eager manner. The Guard stood at attention before the brothers, along with the hunter, who stood between Felix and Demetri.

"For our newest member will take on their first mission among the Guard. And I have hand selected these individuals that will be partnered with Kahlen."

Some shifted almost uncomfortably at the thought, others praying they would not be selected. Kahlen in turn cocked a brow, it being the first she heard of this decision. She guessed the same went for the others in the throne room, judging by the reaction rippling through the gathered vampires. Surprisingly, for once, Caius remained silent. It was a wonder as to why the brother wasn't protesting when Kahlen realized he probably felt elated at the idea of the hunter leaving the castle and being as far away as possible. And, there was a chance she could be killed in the process. Wouldn't Caius love that outcome? Unfortunately for him, the young woman wouldn't allow that to happen so easily.

As predicted, Aro selected the tracker and executioner to be her partners. Even Alec would join them, much to her dislike. And then there were a handful of other lower ranking vampires she saw in passing throughout the castle, but didn't know well.

"Where are we traveling?" Felix questioned.

"Poland," Aro answered. "There is a reclusive coven who have been preying on a nearby village in the mountains. Surrounding rural areas have begun to notice strange happenings. Take care of them."

"Understood."

As the Guard made their way towards the front doors Demetri looked to the hunter at his side. "You will not wear a cape?" he questioned.

"I need every advantage I can get to keep up with you lot, and a cape will only slow me down," Kahlen stated. "I will not be killed by an accessory."

Felix chuckled from in front of them, leading the group to the outside. It was cloudy out, which provided sufficient cover to move about. But they would not be traveling at a normal pace. The hunter seemed to be aware of this fact coming to stand behind the tracker as he bent down.

"Best to hold on tight," he said. The hunter wrapped her arms around his neck to secure her grip. "We will be traveling swiftly."

"Do you think the speed in which we will travel worries me?" she questioned. His hands reached back, hooking under Kahlen's legs. "I can keep up with you well enough."

Demetri chuckled under his breath, "I don't doubt you on that, but my guess is that you have never traveled by vampire before."

There was no immediate answer as he stood to full height. The action allowed her chest to fully press against his back. Glancing around the tracker realized the others had already gone ahead.

"Do you think I'm an idiot?" She'd never dare get close to a vampire in such a way in the past. Even now... this position wasn't the most comfortable for her.

"No, only that I don't take you for being someone who enjoys surprises."

Without another word they were gone in a rush. Kahlen's grip became a vice that held her securely to him. Not that Demetri would allow her slip out of his hold. If anything, he felt her heart jump the moment they were moving. But that was the only hiccup from the mortal. The hunter's face buried into the back of the tracker's neck so something caught in the harsh wind didn't slap her in the face. Demetri almost found himself enjoying that action a little too much for his liking.