Chapter 8

As the week ticked by the human's presence became more and more known throughout the castle. She ignored the twins, much to their mild annoyance, while Felix sometimes silently followed the two of them through the halls. It was noted to Kahlen that there were restricted areas, based on the fact Demetri refused entry, steering them in another direction. But it mattered not, already having visited most of the space undercover. He didn't need to know that though. There were limited interactions with the brothers. Especially with Caius, who made sure to not even acknowledge her existence. The fact that the young woman walked around the castle so freely irritated him to no end.

And as the days went by, Demetri noticed out of the corner of his eye that the twins were watching them. If Kahlen was aware of this she didn't let on to it. And amusingly enough their guest actually began to adapt to Jane's mind trick. The blonde used her gift on the human on more than one occasion from her hiding spots in the halls. The tracker watched as Kahlen's body would tense as if paralyzed before resuming their walk moments later. At first he worried from the sudden out of character halt, though now he only waited patiently. Soon it turned into nothing more than a twitch of a muscle. Easily brushed off. And Jane's face was priceless. Demetri was glad to witness it for once. Definitely a moment to remember.

"I think you've overdone it for once, Jane," Felix teased one evening after the human was long asleep.

It nearly cost the executioner his sanity from the vampire's gift as it immediately inflicted pain at the jab. The antics made the tracker roll his eyes. Hadn't his companion learned over the centuries together not to taunt the twins? This human's appearance was proving to be increasingly enjoyable. The castle definitely felt livelier.

However, this feeling wasn't mutual for others as the brothers sat in the library combing through books. Caius couldn't focus, sitting in his chair and staring at the words on the page. Aro noticed the vampire's growing annoyance from the desk, glancing up from the document he was writing.

"What troubles you, brother?" he finally spoke up.

"I grow tired of that human's arrogance," Caius growled. "And you've allowed our intruder from a month ago entrance into our castle."

"We have no proof of that."

The young woman's statement from their meeting was true. There was nothing to prove her involvement in the infiltration, but he shared his thoughts with the other leaders. And since then the blonde's hatred towards Kahlen grew.

"She's a thief for spying on our own matters. There's no telling what she knows and you question nothing? Sometimes I wonder where your head is."

"But she is unique," Marcus pointed out. "There is hidden talent we have yet to see."

"I do not care about hidden power. She is worthless to us sitting in that room as your pet, brother."

"Then what would you have me do?" Aro asked.

The blonde's eyes flickered towards Marcus, staring at him. "You say she has power. Very well, then I want to see it. In three days with the Guard and us as witnesses I want to see this human up against our own. And I will be the one to choose her hunting party."

"And if they rip her apart?"

Caius almost seemed excited by the idea. "Then so be it."

"I propose some rules to be set in place," Marcus said.

Aro watched his brother curiously. His interest in this human most unusual seeing as how he normally acted passive over many endeavors. Only offering his advice when the time presented itself. Asking why wouldn't give him a straight answer. It was better just to watch this fascination unfold.

"Whoever you choose is not to use their gifts on her. It would only be fair."

"Fine," Caius snapped. "But that is the only thing she gets–"

"And," Aro stepped in, "she's not to be killed." When the blonde went to protest, he added, "Until we make a final judgment on her skills. Then we will decide if she'd be of use to us or we should eliminate her uselessness."

"Very well..." And he grinned sadistically. "There is more than one way to defeat an opponent an inch from their life."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demetri... felt unsettled. The entire day he moved in a daze. While Felix was more than enthusiastic of the events that would take place in the coming days. Even the twins spoke in hushed tones and showed some emotion through their masochist behavior. The tracker felt conflicted. But why? The thrill of the hunt always made the predator in him wild. Especially playing with prey, despite others being involved. It was something he looked forward to and this one would be his most challenging yet. Then why did this desire only simmer in him and not scream for release?

The vampire found himself standing outside the door to the human's room. He listened for any signs of movement. Nothing, but the heartbeat sat in the area of the couch.

"Are you going to continue standing out there, vampire, or come inside?" her voice filtered through.

He only heard it from his enhanced senses, but the statement made him chuckle walking away. She'd be just fine... he hoped.