Chapter 3

Chapter Inspiration: Jungle by X Ambassadors & Jamie N Commons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To say Demetri felt irritated was an understatement. No matter how many times he wandered the halls or searched the grounds of the castle he found nothing. Everything appeared in place, no scent lingered, nothing showed an intruder wandered into their home. And that made him angry. He was the best tracker known to roam the earth. How did this... thing manage to best him?

But he would never ask any of the other guard members for help. He saw it as a sign of weakness.

"For those of you that have only just been brought in to deal with this matter, there is a situation in Austria that has come to our attention," Aro said.

The Elite Guard assigned to his mission gathered in the main hall. Along with a few others below their ranks they hand picked. They needed to be briefed on the situation.

"This matter has been going on for some time and I was hoping it would resolve itself. Or our brothers and sisters would be able to handle it themselves. It appears that assumption was wrong and the southeastern areas of the country are in a state of panic. More noticeably around the forests."

"There's been an invasion of werewolves," Caius seethed. "Get rid of them. Every last dog. Their barbaric natures are not welcome."

"Understood," Jane spoke.

"Revealing ourselves cannot be helped," Aro continued. "But the humans are already aware of the coven's... presence. What they are."

"How is that allowed?" Alec asked.

"Vampires have been inhabiting the area for centuries," Marcus said. "While outsiders are not accepting of our existence, they have managed to live together in peace for over a thousand years. The vampires protect them from danger and in turn the humans give them the blood they need to survive without question."

"So long as they do not feed from them," Aro nodded. "There are laws in place to punish those who refuse to coexist. You have your orders. Be sure the threat doesn't survive."

Making their way through the castle, Jane said, "Can we count on your abilities, Demetri?" The vampire's head picked up at his name. "That you will be able to trace their positions should they flee? Or will your gift prove to be a disappointment much like your search for our own intruder?"

He growled under his breath in warning. He didn't grant the blonde an answer to the provoking question. Demetri didn't have to explain himself. Not that he knew why his gift seemed to falter in the first place. One thing was certain. When this mission finished, he would search the castle once more. Maybe without their presence and slack of the Elite Guard, this individual would make themselves known. Human or vampire they were bound to slip up thinking they were in no danger. And that's when the tracker would make his move.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Austria was worse than anticipated. Since stepping over the border the stench of blood that lingered in the air was stifling, along with the wretched smell of wet dog. Not that the vampires needed to breathe it was more for their appearance outside the walls in order to blend in. Though this time around they cut off that sense almost immediately to save them the trouble of dry heaving. What vial creatures the Children of the Moon were to their kind.