Chapter 6

It was entertaining for Kahlen to watch as the Guard patrolled the castle. Thinking there were no holes in their wall of bloodsucking creatures. How wrong they were and she was proof of that. The average human wouldn't be capable of such a task, far too clumsy for their own good. But for someone trained to move as a killer and blend into the shadows it was rather easy. Sitting on the ledge of the tall window in the room the young woman aimlessly observed the city below. Being caught hadn't been part of the agenda. Though now on the inside and included in their daily activities Kahlen would most likely learn more about these vampires than from spying in the shadows. In a way it worked, but wondered what the Council would think about one of their own interacting with the very creatures they hunted on occasion.

Though, there weren't many of them that seemed to care anymore anyway. Their numbers were fewer as the years ticked by and she was one of their most trusted agents in the field left, a loner. None ever bothered her until something of great importance surfaced. They didn't even particularly care about the werewolves reeking havoc in Austria. She's taken on the mission herself, not out of boredom, but to help those who were defenseless. That was the role her kind played in society both natural and supernatural. Or used to... they were beginning to slack as time went on.

Sighing, Kahlen's attention turned to the lock on the windowpane. Honestly, what a juvenile notion to think that could keep her in. Breaking the lock would be easy, as well as slipping out. But the young woman wasn't in the mood for that tonight. Maybe another time as she turned in for the evening.