Chapter 14

"Do you honestly think this is a wise idea?" Caius asked.

The three brothers were left to themselves in their library. Combing over a rather important list on the table in front of them.

"To be hosting such an event with that thing roaming about."

"If we do not then others will grow suspicious," Aro said. "We've never canceled."

"And what then when they come and discover we're harboring a human?"

"The truth would be the best in this situation," Marcus stated. It caused Caius to scoff. "To an extent. We can't very well say what she is to the other covens."

"This is going to be a mockery to the Volturi. Being brought so low to sheltering a human in our castle. I don't see why we can't lock her in the dungeons and mask her scent from what lingers from our own we've kept there."

"We can't do that," Aro spoke up. "She'd never agree to it."

"Then make her a servant."

"That will not work either."

Caius's brows narrowed. "You have become soft on that hunter. Where is your head?" his voice rose with every word. "We will be hosting some of the most renowned and strongest covens throughout the world! You are showing weakness!"

"Is it a weakness to see an ally in someone who could be beneficial to us?"

"You don't know her! None of us do! And this trust you've placed in her will only get you killed in the end. She will murder you the first chance she gets!"

"These are only assumptions," Aro reasoned, hands folding in front of him on the table. "And this hostility cannot be present during this event. I expect better of you, brother. I will speak to Kahlen about the matter."

"I assume you have a plan already in order," Marcus said.

"I do. Now all I need is the consent of two individuals."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hunter was rather surprised to find the castle bustling and full of life... in a sense. In the days that followed since her spare against Demetri, everything went as it normally did. Only now Kahlen was able to freely roam the castle and not in the shadows this time. She explored the gardens for once, something that caught her eyes on a number of occasions. They were beautiful and sometimes the Guard could find her among the various flowerbeds either reading or relaxing with closed eyes trying to block everything out. When not there she usually practiced in the same room as last time. Performing various workouts by herself. Even with Demetri or Felix a few times too.

The closer Kahlen moved towards the throne room the more vampires she saw. Many were using their abnormal speed to move about. The room used at the brothers' disposal on a number of occasions for business was void of the coven leaders. Even the chairs had been removed. The seemingly normal space now decorated and looking more expensive and high class. At least there someone occupied the room that the hunter could talk to and get an answer.

"What's going on?" Kahlen questioned.

The head turned away from their duties to address her.

"We are making preparations for a ball," Felix stated. "The brothers' host one every decade to keep ties to various covens all over the world that wish to attend. Lucky for you, you'll be able to witness it."