Chapter 12

Her nose and throat ached when Kahlen came around. Squinting against the sun that streamed through the open curtains she groaned, bones shifting as they cracked to relieve the tension. She heard the door open, peeking over the covers as Demetri entered carrying a glass of water and some toast. Their eyes instantly met the moment he glanced over. The vampire came to place the items on the nightstand.

"You certainly slept long," he stated.

In response, the human further buried herself under the sheets, as well as the pillow. As if to block him out.

"You have to eat. With the amount of blood you lost you probably can't even stand properly."

I'm not weak, you ass, she wanted to say, but couldn't find the energy to do so.

"If you're going to be stubborn then I'll just force feed you myself." She could hear the tap of the food against the plate from under the cushion. To remove any extra crumbs. "What is it you humans say... Oh, yes, say 'ah'."

To save herself the embarrassment a low murmur was his only response. He didn't catch the words as Kahlen sat herself up sluggishly. Demetri smirked, setting the plate in her lap.

"Aro wishes to see you when you're... presentable."

The night shirt had ridden up and twisted a bit, giving the tracker a clearer view of the young woman's stomach line, while the head of hair was in disarray from having air dried from the late shower, and those shorts... well, they were not something one would wear outside their room, that was certain.

"Forgot about him," she grunted.

There was a slight tremble to the hand as it raised the bread slice, Demetri noticed, though the hunter would never admit such a thing. She looked utterly exhausted. Had the vampire known it would have taken this much out of her he would have declined joining the spar. But then the others would begin to question his sanity as to why he made it easy for a human. Then again Demetri already questioned himself for not thinking properly since Kahlen took up residence in the castle. This had to stop before the other guards began to notice.

"You can stay here," Demetri said.

The comment made the hunter's eyes crack open. Kahlen had been sipping down some water slowly.

"I will let Aro know you're feeling under the weather. Or that he should hold the meeting here instead."

A shoulder shrugged, setting the glass back on the night table and the plate on the bedspread. "Showing weakness is not a quality I possess," she said.

The young woman swung both legs over the edge. The moment she stood her body swayed due to the head rush. Demetri's form twitched to move should she collapse. The hunter remained on her feet with a groan moving towards the closet and rubbing the temples.

"I'm going to kick all of your asses again for that stunt in the throne room, including Caius," she muttered.

The vampire chuckled under his breath. "Wouldn't that put you in the same state you're in now?"

"No, because next time I'll have a weapon to help me."

He cocked a brow towards the closing door. "You honestly believe that the brothers would give you something close to a weapon?"

"It would be a weapon that none of you are aware of."

Oh, he was growing very interested as to where these so-called weapons were that Kahlen kept hinting at. When the young woman emerged she dressed herself in a blood red turtleneck that really made the pale skin stand out, black pants accenting the curves of the hips. That color really did suit her well, Demetri officially declared.