Chapter 43

Kahlen never realized... how irritating the Guard could be. None would allow her to leave bed, even if only to sit by the fireplace for a few hours. Even stretching her legs was such a task, only doing so when needing to use the bathroom or take a shower... After being escorted there by being carried. She couldn't even convince Jane to voice against Demetri, Felix, and Alec's actions, much to her surprise. Kahlen sighed heavily and slumped back against the pillows. The young woman was tired of sitting. Her butt even fell asleep at times due to the lack of movement. And dare she say it the hunter began to miss the familiar sights of the castle halls.

It was Demetri, though, who constantly made his presence known in the room. And for some reason he tried to help as much as he possibly could to make her quarantine in the room somewhat bearable. The vampire brought books from the library, along with a game or two Marci lent him from her own home. Some days he'd read to the young woman. Books that were originally in Italian and Greek, translating them to her with ease while sitting near the fireplace or on the bed. And on a few occasions, not to Kahlen's knowledge, she'd fall asleep with her head leaning against his shoulder. He'd pause in the reading to situate the young woman into a more comfortable position.

When Aro visited again, the ruler allowed the hunter to move about the castle once more. She couldn't wait to get moving, but stood slowly knowing all the blood would rush to her head and stumble. Demetri looked skeptical though. He watched Kahlen's every movement following her from the room.

"Aren't you hungry?" the hunter asked a few days later.

"No," he answered. "I have a few more days to worry about that."

She really wanted a break from being constantly followed. Kahlen hadn't seen someone worry over her since her mentor's passing. It felt weird to be fussed over, and annoying, but a part of the hunter enjoyed it. Though she'd never admit it out loud.

"Aro," the voice made Kahlen jump a bit at Caius's sudden appearance in the garden where she sat reading. She looked up at the blonde vampire not missing the slight amusement that graced his expression for a second before resting into his normal scowl, "has wished for me to inform you that Carlisle will be here in a week to... observe your condition."

The young woman nodded in answer, rather surprised he even came by to speak with her. But then wondered if Aro forced him to do so, which was entertaining in itself to see him being ordered around by his brother. Though the blonde surprised her further by sitting down at the small table across from her. Her brows pinched in confusion.

"I'm to... keep you company while Demetri is away," Caius said.

The tracker left early that afternoon to hunt for blood with Felix. While the twins were in Romania once more dealing with a nomad. Other guard members were spread throughout the continent on various missions as well.

"Aro's orders?" Kahlen asked.

"No, Marcus."

That was surprising. The air felt rather uncomfortable as they sat in silence. Kahlen returned to her novel only to notice that Caius continued to glare at her from the other side of the cover.

"You're going to burn a hole through these pages if you continue doing that."

"Why are you still here?" he suddenly asked.

The young woman lowered the book. Obviously, the vampire wished to talk about this matter and it bothered him greatly for some time. Since usually, Caius just spit out an insult or ignored Kahlen.

"Hunter's don't stay in one place for long... that much I know from legends." She nodded in confirmation. "So why are you still here? You hunt our kind."

"Only when they are threats. And I still wonder that myself. I wasn't planning to stay this long." The corner of her lips twitched in a slight smirk. "Though I'm sure you'd try and have me hunted down in some way if I did try to leave in the first few months I arrived here." A finger tapped the book cover in thought. "I was actually making preparations to leave in the coming weeks before what happened in the throne room."

"Would you have said anything about these plans?"

Her head shook. "It's not in my nature to make a big scene and announce things. No, I would have done it quietly, either after a mission and slipped away, or in the early hours of morning knowing none of you can travel in daylight."

Smart. To plan the escape so thoroughly to ensure no one followed.

"Why are you telling me this?" Caius asked.

"You've never wanted me here to begin with. While you're worried I may spill the secrets of the Volturi, you know me well enough now that is not the case. Especially after my time with Makar when he tortured me. You won't stop me when I'm ready to leave. I'll finally be out of your hair. So that is why I am telling you. Because the others will wonder what has happened once I disappear."

"Aro will find out. One way or another."

"I know. But he's level headed and if I explain my reasoning to him when the time comes. I'm not worried."

"Where will you go?"

"Somewhere in Germany. I'm not exactly sure which city yet. Depends on what work I can find."

"Why not leave now?" He wouldn't stop her if she got up from the table and walked off.

"Because then I would be dragged back to the castle whether I like it or not by someone from the Guard. I only have to pass Carlisle's medical exam and then after a few days I will take my leave. If I am no longer deemed unwell none of you will look for answers."

"And why did that happen? That episode in the throne room?"

Her shoulders shrugged. "Why does a human get the flu? Or contract cancer when they are healthy?" Caius had no answer. "Sometimes your body just works against you. And like Carlisle said, what happened with Makar finally caught up to me. I should have been prepared, but I wasn't. I was confident that nothing would happen. That was foolish to believe." Kahlen smirked. "Sorry if I stained your floors."

"We got it out."

"Good to hear."

When Demetri returned later that evening he was rather surprised to see the hunter in the presence of Caius. The two were actually having a civil conversation. The fact that they weren't at each other's throats made the tracker wonder if he was seeing things. Blinking a few times before realizing that Marcus walked up alongside him.

"They've been out there for hours," the brother stated. "I thought Caius would not last this long in her company. It seems I was wrong and that they may have more in common than we thought."

Demetri entered the garden, catching their attention. Kahlen stood in greeting. His eyes were a vibrant red once more as she turned to bid the blonde good night. The young woman followed the tracker back towards her room.

"How did the two of you manage to not fight?" Demetri asked. Once they were out of earshot.

"I wonder that myself... But it was less awkward than I believed it would be," she said.