Chapter 4

"I am pleased that everything has been settled," Aro addressed the guard members that returned. "I trust they will not be a threat any longer."

"Not with their limited numbers," Felix stated.

"You did not kill them all?" Caius growled.

His eyes flashed dangerously as the vampire quickly recovered, "That is the reason Jane and Alec stayed behind. They went to hunt down those who managed to escape."

The answer seemed to please the ruler. "Now, about our own personal matters." He looked to his eldest brother, "The intruder, Aro. What are we to do with them?"

"It was predicted that this individual would enter the castle with everyone gone," the ruler stated to the Guard. "Yet that was not the case. Everything is in order. No one sensed their presence. Still, they may return..." Aro mused. "But we cannot know for sure. We've missed something..."

The vampire was left to his thoughts, sitting in his chair on the dais once more.

"What is it, brother?" Marcus asked. He noticed a change in his posture and minimal movements.

"Our intruder knew," he spoke, eyes flickering towards the Guard. "Though they entered my study and nothing appeared moved or taken, the documents on the desk were concerning the matter in Austria." The fingers tapped at his lips. "Most intriguing..."

"They were watching our movements then?" Caius questioned. "Waiting to see what we would do? Or were they working with those vial creatures so they knew were we going to attack or not?"

"Not that it matters if they were in league with the werewolves, for the threat has been exterminated. Hmm, so many unanswered questions."

"It wasn't a mutt that broke in," Demetri stated. Their eyes snapped towards the tracker. "We would've been able to smell them."

"True," Marcus agreed.

The doors were thrown open as Jane entered, followed by her brother. But it was what accompanied them that drew their attention. Alec's hand roughly tangled in a head of hair, dragging the person across the floor. They thrashed about wildly in an attempt to get away. It only made the vampire pull harder, ignoring the grip on his wrist as nails tried clawing at the hard skin. Aro stood from his chair to greet the twins.

"Ah, Jane, Alec, I trust there are no more wolves to be worried about."

The blonde raised a hand, allowing him to clasp it eagerly. Alec snarled when the female in his grip managed to land a swift kick to a shin. In retaliation, the vampire threw her forward to slide across the marble floor to a stop.

Aro clapped his hands in delight. "Remarkable!"

"What is, brother?" Caius asked. His eyes never left their new guest wary of who they were.

"It appears this fine young lady was there in Austria," Aro said.

The vampire strode towards the stranger as they pushed up from the floor moving away the tangled assortment of hair in order to see. He bent down, a cold hand grasping the young woman's chin and tugged her head up to see. With a grunt she had no way to protest, forced to sit up on both knees from the action.

"A human."

The word caused a murmur to run through the room. Caius and Marcus quickly appeared at Aro's side to also observe the individual.

"Look here, brothers, blood runs through her veins," Aro continued.

"And why did you bring her back?" Caius asked.