Chapter 16

Their eyes instantly honed in on the human that was being led into the hall as a guest. Which confused many as to why one was being shown such treatment.

Aro's voice broke through the tense silence that had settled over half the throne room, "You look exquisite."

The brother approached with a wide grin. Taking the young woman's free hand in his, he kissed the back like a gentleman. It was almost amusing for Kahlen, but kept her emotions in check.

"This lifestyle suits you."

Demetri could tell the guests' found it odd for Aro to be so friendly with a human, but none dared to question it out right to the leader's face. Their interest in the human was clear. Demetri and Kahlen were bound to attract many covens this evening and the tracker wondered how Kahlen would handle herself.

"Thank you, Aro, for the compliment, and the invitation," the hunter spoke in a very formal manner.

They didn't converse long as the tracker moved them through the room. Marcus was the next to greet them with the leaders of the Krosno Coven in Poland, "This is the young lady I was speaking to you about."

"Kahlen," she greeted, taking the outstretched hand of the male.

"Alfred Kava. And this is my wife, Daria."

"Lovely to meet you," the woman said, head bowing. The young woman followed the action. "I found it rather odd when Marcus told me of their new ally since it has been some time since the Volturi welcomed a new member amongst the Guard."

"You must be an exceptional fighter," Alfred added.

Demetri could see the vampire's eyes roaming her form, trying to add it all up. The tracker didn't blame him. She looked so fragile, being a human. A shame she couldn't display her gifts before them to quell those questioning the brothers. No matter how low the covens murmured, the vampire could hear everything.

"Why would the Volturi ally with a human?"

"What's so special?"

"Probably a delicious blood bank."

"I wonder if she will be for later."

"It must be her mind that intrigues them. Not strength."

"What a weak, pathetic mortal."

"Aro is finally losing it."

"She may just surprise us."

The last comment caused Demetri to scan the crowd of guests. He'd recognize that accent anywhere. This specific Spaniard Coven was stationed in Madrid. Their eyes made contact and the tracker nodded, knowing he would have to introduce Kahlen to them before the evening came to an end. The mates nodded in return, focusing back on the Hungarian ruler, who hadn't even noticed their momentary distraction. Too busy remembering one of their wars and recounting his coven's involvement. Demetri made a note to avoid him should the hunter get an itch to find some way to shut him up.

As the evening wore on, the vampire continued to lead Kahlen through the room. Felix joined them at one point before quickly dismissing himself when Caius ordered him away to check on the guards along the walls. To be sure there were no disruptions. The twins certainly kept their distance and for most part Demetri rarely saw them. He couldn't say he was complaining.

"I must say I am impressed," Demetri spoke.

For a moment the hunter forgot he was even there. The female vampires from the Slovakian Coven left to tour the gardens after a brief conversation.