Chapter 19

"Felix has made me aware of what happened on the field." It had taken Aro two days to gather all of the evidence on the subject at hand, after hearing from Felix. Then it was only a matter of time before the brother managed to corner the male witch twin and forcibly take hold of his hand to find real answers as to why his actions were carried through, against orders. The leader was not pleased. "And I have also listened to Alec's side of the story before making my verdict. There was something of yours that was ruined."

Kahlen sat in the chair across the desk, watching the vampire. Of course when she was summoned the hunter had a hunch this was the reason why. Her body was still sore, the shoulder still hurting like a bitch if moved the wrong way, but at least the muscles was no longer stiff. And the only vampire to know of this was the tracker, much to her dislike. Kahlen would rather that information be kept private, but the vampire seemed to keep his mouth shut... and run off the twins if they came too close. "My guns."

Aro nodded. "We will have them replaced."

"They aren't something you just pick up from a local store."

"And I understand that. We have connections. I will be sure you're given the same, if not better." The hunter doubted that, yet held her tongue. To receive free weaponry was rare, and buying new equipment even more so. It was expensive because the grade in the material were higher, harder to acquire. Kahlen normally accepted second hand items or ones that had been used. Those that had seen the field in the past that had most likely come from fallen hunters, which were sold off for profit.

"Do you have spares for the time being?"

Her shoulders shrugged, ignoring the sharp pain. "They are old... but will get the job done if need be."

"Then I must ask you to do that until the order is complete."

"Very well..."

"Good, now that that is settled, are you fit to be on active duty?" His eyes honed in on the injured shoulder. "Felix also informed me a vampire hit you fairly aggressively. And from his standpoint that looked rather painful."

"I'll live."

"But will this make you a liability?"

"Never."

Aro smiled. "Very good. There is something I would like you to handle. Nothing too extensive, but I want this to be finished in a timely fashion."

"Where am I heading?"

"Bosnia. Felix will be traveling with you."

"No one else?"

"Numbers will not be needed and I have no doubt the two of you won't fail. I've noticed you both work well together."

"We'll head out immediately," not wishing to address the comment further. Next thing she knew he'd compare her with Demetri, since the two were always together... maybe a little too much. And if her fellow hunters knew that one of their own was working 'well' with vampires... that would not be tolerated.

"Glad to see you moving," the brute commented when he met the hunter at the front door with her backup weapons. "I thought that hit would've put you out of action for a while." Then lower added, "And I'd rather not do this with Jane."

Her lips twitched in mild amusement. "Then you don't know me well enough that I don't go down easily."

Felix chuckled, pulling the hood over his head as they entered the streets, the sun peeking through the clouds overhead. "Did you say farewell to Demetri?"