Chapter 24

There was no sightseeing. Not that Kahlen expected there to be with the guards. They were hard at work moving through the streets looking for leads whenever the sun allowed it. "You're going to draw too much attention to yourselves," the hunter stated. She was sitting in a café with the tracker and brute while the twins hunted for blood. The two had done so the night before. "If that happens, then what's the point of being here? We might as well go back to Volterra and call this trip off."

"But we need answers," Felix stated.

"And you'll get results with patience. Why do you think us hunters remain out of sight and out of your knowledge?" She had a point. "We're not careless."

"You trust your friends can get the job done?"

"They've never let me down before." She continued eating her food before stating, "The people in question, they have eyes and ears all over Barcelona. That's why they've managed to stay hidden. They're tipped off when to move before being exposed or exterminate those that get too close."

"What are we going to do when we start moving?" Demetri asked. "You just said the closer we get the more likely we'll be killed." Or more so the hunter since she was the only one who was mortal.

"If you're too scared I won't stop you from returning behind your walls."

Felix chuckled at the comment trying to suppress a smirk. "You're not worried."

"What's there to worry about? They may be lethal, but until the situation presents itself there's no use panicking beforehand."

It was another four days before the information came. Jane's last patience was being tested as the guards retreated to their hotel, Demetri and Kahlen returning to their own. And that was when the tracker smelled it upon opening the door to the building. Mutts.

"What's wrong?" the hunter asked, pausing in her ascent up the stairs to look down at him.

"We're not alone anymore," he answered lowly. "They're in your bedroom."

"Friend or foe?"

"You know them. Hard to forget their stench."

Sighing, Kahlen continued on unlocking the door only to find Mónica sitting in the chair Demetri normally occupied in the corner of the room, Tomás leaning against a wall. Their eyes were honed in on them as the two entered, the tracker closing the door behind them.

"Funny, we could say the same thing about you, vampire," the man stated.

The air was tense as the opposing sides stared each other down before the young woman stepped in. "What do you have?"

Grunting in mild annoyance, he looked at Kahlen. "It's their accountant. He's lecherous and frequents Barcelona's most popular, well established night scenes."

"A strip club," Demetri stated. It wasn't hard to guess what his activities would be after that statement.

"This isn't your normal red light district where the women are from the lowest of the low in the social class with nothing to show for themselves," Móinca relayed. "This place is for the high class, people who can afford to spend money. He will be there. Every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday he's present."

"His table is towards the back near the private tables that have a good view of the performance stage," her mate continued.

"How will we know it's him?" Kahlen asked.

"Easily. There are two vampires with him."

The young woman's brows rose. "Their accountant is a human?"