Chapter 22

"What was that about?" he asks.

"That was my friend Tyler. He plays hockey for the Dallas Stars," you reply.

"Oh, yeah. I've heard a lot about him," Aaron responds with a little more attitude than you expected.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Austin kind of gave me the details of the situation," Aaron says.

"Oh, how nice of him," you reply. "And what situation is that?"

"I know that you guys used to be involved, and I know that he is kind of a scumbag."

"Are you serious right now?" you question raising your voice.

Aaron just stares at you as your blood begins to boil. You did have some history with Tyler, but the situation wasn't as cut and dry as Aaron made it seem. Tyler was a close friend who stayed with you pretty frequently when he was in the area. Tyler has a reputation of being a bit of a playboy because he is young, successful, and very attractive. He isn't the most commitment centered individual either. Last year, the friendship blossomed into a friends with benefits type scenario which was based on a mutual attraction. The only issue was that Austin never liked Tyler. He thought of him as an arrogant player who took advantage of women and lead them on. You made the mistake of talking to Austin about the feelings you were developing for Tyler, and he never let it go. Austin must have decided to talk to Aaron about it before while you were sleeping.

"I shouldn't have said anything," Aaron says.

"Well, at least you are right about one thing today," you reply.

You turn to walk out of the room and Aaron grabs your hand. You pull your hand out of his grip and stare at him.

"Look, I didn't mean to upset you," he says softly. "Austin just told me that this guy comes around a lot and really doesn't treat you with a lot of respect. He was just hoping that I could keep an eye on you. That's all."

"I don't need you to look after me," you reply louder than you intended. "The main issue here is that Austin just doesn't like Tyler, which is fine, but I made the choice to get involved with him. Regardless of that decision, Tyler is still my friend, and it's pretty shitty that you are passing judgements before you even meet him."

You walk out of the room, and this time Aaron doesn't stop you.