Chapter 38

You look down at an incoming text from Aaron that just says, "On my way over." That's it. No kissy face, no smiley face, nothing. You try to prepare yourself for the bad mood that Aaron is going to be in. You think about how he screamed in pain when his shoulder was hit, and the look of complete frustration in his post-game interview. You know that he will continue to beat himself up, and you hope to put a stop to that. The short amount of time that you've known Aaron doesn't really help you out there, but you will think of something. You glance at your phone and see that it is 3:56. Aaron should be here around 4:30, so you have plenty of time to take a shower and do some thinking.

You take a quick shower and dress in yoga pants and a tank top - probably your favorite casual outfit. You start up a load of laundry and vacuum the hallway leading to the garage door. Just as you turn off the vacuum, you hear the garage door opening. Aaron is probably with one of the other guys, and you are silently hoping it isn't Austin. The drama with him the past few days has really taken away your attention from Aaron and your brand new relationship.

The door opens and in walks Greg. You let out a sigh of relief and offer to help him with his bags. Greg refuses to let you help, but he leans down to give you a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm headed out again to run some errands. I think you two need some alone time," he says raising his eyebrows up and down. Leave it to Greg to make you laugh when you need it the most.

You peek out into the garage, and you can see Aaron struggling with his bags. You hop down the three steps and rush over to his side.

"Hey, handsome," you say with a smile as you touch his forearm lightly. He gives you a smile, but the smile doesn't reach his eyes.

"Hey, baby," he says leaning down to give you a kiss. He slips his backpack onto his shoulder and winces. You reach for the bag, but he moves out of the way.

"I got it," he says under his breath.

"Can you please let me help you?" you say holding out your hands. You know that you look absolutely ridiculous, but you would do just about anything right now to see him smile. You turn around and hold your arms out indicating that you want him to put the bag on your back. You hear him chuckle, and you feel a hand on your bottom.

"I like these pants a lot," he mutters close to your ear. Your shoulder instinctively goes up towards your ear, and you giggle.

"Come on," you say encouraging him to give you the bag.

"Fine," he says slipping the backpack onto your shoulders.

You turn around to face him, "How do I look?"

Aaron laughs again. The bag feels huge on your body. You wouldn't really classify yourself as a petite girl, but this bag usually looks big on Aaron, so you can only imagine what you look like standing there. Aaron leans in for another kiss, but this time it is harder and has more passion behind it.

"Thanks, babe."

You turn around to see him pick up the remaining duffle bag and shut the car door. You start walking towards the door inside when Greg emerges from inside.

"I'm going to run out to do some shopping, and then I'm going out to dinner tonight with a friend. I think the guys were going to stay put at the hotel tonight, so it looks like you guys have the house to yourself for quite some time," he says winking at Aaron.

"Bye, Greg," you yell as you push him towards the car.

You follow Aaron inside and upstairs to your bedroom. You drop the backpack onto your bed, and he tosses the duffle bag to the floor. He turns around to look at you, and the pain on his face is obvious. He looks completely heartbroken, and you feel helpless standing there. You close the gap and wrap your body around his. You rest your head on his chest and breathe him in.

"I'm sorry you had a shitty day," you mumble pressed against him.

He stays quiet for a moment and then says, "It happens, but it helps knowing that I can come home to you. It's going to suck so much when I have to go on the road."

"Let's not talk about that now. Let's stay in the moment and enjoy each other, okay?"

Aaron remains quiet, but his hands roam your back. He reaches down and cups your ass with his giant hand, giving you a quick massage.

You glance up at him, "So tell me the truth. How is your shoulder?"

"It's okay. I have to talk to the trainers tomorrow and see how I feel after resting tonight."

"Okay!" you say enthusiastically. "That's not terrible news."

"Yeah, I just gotta take it easy which sucks because I had some fun plans for tonight," he says pushing your hair behind your ear.

"None of that," you say; your voice cracking.

Aaron leans down and plants a kiss on your neck. You feel his tongue exploring your skin and you get chills all over your body.

"Okay, maybe a little of that," you say quietly.