Chapter Seventy

A/N: HAPPY NEW YEARS YALL!! Hope 2020 is super awesome for all of y'all and thank you for sticking around with me and Adie for a whole year :,)

Pretty depressing chapter as usual. I think I wrote the saddest chapter ever a few days ago. It was post-Infinity War. I guess I just really like to write sad stuff *shrug*

————————————————————

"He misses you like crazy."

————————————————————

Adelaide had a problem: Midtown High started tomorrow.

Despite Mr. Delmar's motivational speech, she really didn't want to go back to Midtown High. It was her old life and she had made a promise to herself that she had left it for good. Besides, there were just so many memories. She would be insane to think that she could go back and still avoid facing everything.

Not to mention her little run-in to Graves. He wouldn't show up without a purpose. But, as usual, his words made no sense to her and he had thrown her into a swirl of skepticism and anxiety. What were the chances that he wouldn't try something once she went back to Midtown High? He'd already set the library on fire and nearly killed her. Who's to say he wouldn't burn something bigger this time?

But maybe, just maybe, there was small, tiny, microscopic part of her that wanted to go back, despite everything. Was it selfish of her to want to put everyone at risk just to feel the tiniest sense of normalcy again?

The tv had been playing for an hour now, but she couldn't focus on a word. It was some movie in Spanish that she had been trying to follow, but her mind kept wandering and now it was nearly midnight.

With a sigh, Adelaide decided it was time to go to sleep.

There was no use in meddling with her thoughts. They were just an endless train of what ifs that didn't really have answers. Adelaide took her dinner (the usual leftover sub) and put it into a tupperware container. She had only been able to get through half of it before her appetite left. Maybe she'd finish it tomorrow.

She made sure her front door was locked before turning off her lamps and slipping under the covers to sleep.

—————

Adelaide was back at school.

She walked through the front doors and everyone in the room turned to look at her accusingly. She kept her eyes down and walked through the throng of students. They were whispering things about her but she couldn't understand what they were saying.

There, at the end of the hall, was a Do Not Cross sign. She stopped, swallowing. Suddenly, all the whispers stopped and she felt a cold silence creeping up her spine until she felt his hand on her shoulder.

She gasped and turned around, seeing Lukov himself standing there. He had a maniacal grin on his face.

"Welcome back, Adelaide," he grinned, "Couldn't help yourself?"

"Leave them alone," she begged, referring to the rest of the school, "It's not their fault."

"Oh I know," he said. The entire school was leaning forward, hanging on his each and every word. "It is always your fault."