Chapter 36: Julius

This chapter is brought to you by The Song of Dann (Promise) by KINGDOM. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

The birth of the Rhine Empire began with a child burdened by a great destiny, and two others who swore their allegiance to protect the child.

When the dust had settled and the Empire was formed, the Dyad Ducal System was put into place to achieve the perfect balance of government.

The chosen leaders for the Dyad Ducals were old, their bloodlines having survived the Black Void and the Great Uprising.

They were resilient and fought on the frontlines of every major conflict in history.

No other family knew more of what it meant to be a Noble than the Odums and Elysiums.

To honor the loyalty given by their first ancestors, the first Emperor demanded the governing body be split in two.

The Odums led the Imperial Faction, and the Elysiums steered the ship for the Aristocracy. As for the Imperial Family, they were a symbol of neutrality and balanced the two factions, allowing neither to have too much power in the courts.

Power... balance... one would think, with all the political games, that the two families would be at each other's throats.

It was a common misconception that the Odums and Elysiums harbored hatred for one another.

The two families were on opposing sides in bureaucratic decision-making, but they were also colleagues forced to share an office for several generations and made to suffer through centuries of political bullshit.

The factions could hem and haw at each other all day in court, but by the end of the day, they would all see each other in their joint offices, pulling an all-nighter for their life choices.

Getting your policy passed through the court will always be a bitter victory because by nightfall you will be greeted by several stacks of paperwork requiring you to read through and sign off on while your so-called rival will laugh at you and then cry an hour later when they find out they also needed to sign off on several documents to match your workload.

The families were powerful, but they knew their places.

To outsiders, they were like night and day.

To the factions, they were like tigers and wolves.

But for the Elysiums, politics came second to their survival.

The Odums thought the same.

---

Julius woke up feeling like a giant bruise. He tried to open his eyes, but when he caught the sight of the afternoon sun shining through a window, he groaned again and allowed the drilling pain in his head to wash over him with the intensity of a boulder.

From beside him, he heard breathing.

Someone stood up. The sound of a chair being slid back and shoes quietly padding around the room filled his ears.

The curtains closed and Julius opened his eyes.

He was lying on a sofa, in a small and dimly-lit room, surrounded by flowers like a dead man at a funeral.

Even the sheet they had covered him with was white.

"Awake?" a voice quietly called out.

Julius turned and saw—