Chapter 1: Neo

---

Volume I: Spring

---

Outside a research facility in the dead of night, there were two men leaving the building.

One man sighed wearily, seemingly exhausted from a hard day's work.

"Agh, I'm so tired. Boss has been giving us hell ever since the outbreak. What time is it?"

The other man, looking a tad more refreshed, checked his phone.

"Hm, if you take a cab, you should get back before midnight."

"Screw that. The cab drivers are charging ten for every mile at this hour. I'm better off walking at this rate."

"There, there. I can give you a ride back. Clark! You coming?"

The two men turned to a third, who was standing on the steps of the entrance. He was fiddling with his pocket with an expression that spoke of annoyance, patting down his pants with an air of defeat hanging from his head.

After a few more seconds, he groaned.

"You guys go ahead. I forgot my phone back in the lab."

The two men shared a look.

The tired one spoke.

"Call us when you get back. And don't forget to be safe."

"Sure thing."

"Have a goodnight!"

"Yeah, you too!"

Clark turned and headed back inside the facility.

He made his way back to the laboratory where his workstation was located.

Switching on the lights, he went over to his desk and searched around the area for his phone.

Where could it be?

The clutter on his table did not help his search.

He spotted his lab coat hanging on a chair. He had left it there when he went to change out of his uniform—

Aha!

Clark grabbed his lab coat and shoved his hand into the pockets, crying out victoriously the moment he got his hand on his phone.

Patting himself mentally for a job well done, the man headed towards the door to switch off all the lights.

As he did so, he noticed that there was a switch that indicated a different laboratory still had all its lights on.

The label under the switch: Laboratory C.

For some, this might mean that someone forgot to switch off the lights, but Clark knew better than to think that.

There was only one person in this facility assigned to Laboratory C who was willing to work overtime without having to be told, and this switch indicated it clearly.

You would think he learned something after passing out last time in the middle of the day...

With a sigh, Clark rounded the corner and made his way over to Laboratory C.

He was right at the entrance of the laboratory when he saw the familiar figure of a researcher hunched over a microscope and muttering intently to himself.

"Neo?"

"Hm?" came the response.

So, Clark was right.