Chapter 7: Aurelion

This chapter is brought to you by O Sole Mio by SF9.

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

Aurelion stepped out from behind the peonies and calmly approached the pavilion. His face remained cold and impassive, the perfect Odum poise encompassing his every move.

It was a shame, however, that this frosty demeanor was ineffective in the face of Neo, who knew where to spot the telltale signs of Aurelion's true thoughts.

His eyes landed on the boy's right hand and saw a slight movement discreetly being made between the thumb and index.

Aurelion would pick at his thumb when his mind was fraught with nerves.

As if noticing Neo's gaze, the boy tucked his hands behind him, shielding them from his line of sight. Blue sapphire eyes met his own in a challenging glare, defiant and chilly.

Neo raised his cup to his lips, feigning nonchalance.

His memories serve him well for moments like these. He had spent years watching this younger brother of his, it was merely one of the many significant observations he'd made during the span of this lifetime.

The nervous gesture could be considered endearing. It gave character—how Aurelion wasn't as perfect and aloof as he appeared to be.

Unfortunately, if this information ever fell into the hands of his political opponents, Aurelion would be easily pushed down by those who were dangerously more perceptive than the average person.

Who would believe a small and insignificant habit could potentially cause the Ducal to suffer a loss if anyone were to find out? Those of nobility were best at reading body language. As they say, the body does not lie. Those with eyes could see details unseen to the common eyes and would always come out on top.

Neo was keenly reminded of his past and current sins when he thought about the enemies who desired to harm the Odum Ducal. For those specific ones, he had no regrets for what he did.

Nazareth protected the House after claiming it as his own.

A street rat with nothing to call its own could be territorial at best and frighteningly possessive at its worse.

Foolish sons and daughters of lower families who dared to yearn for control of the Odum Ducal should wish less for what didn't belong to them, lest they wanted to lose everything they had.

Nazareth had habitually threatened and blackmailed those who came close to realizing Aurelion's weakness, going as far as to get rid of them if they proved to be more trouble than they were worth.

It was a decision made after weighing the pros and cons. He would certainly lose likely allies, but they were not allies if they sought to bring misfortune to his family.

It was a twisted form of love for his family and brother. Some may call it being protective of what he considered his own, but to those who knew better, Nazareth had selfish reasons to protect the brother he desired to kill.

It didn't make sense to shield Aurelion, but, did it ever make sense for a bastard son to force his way into running for heirship?

He wanted to destroy the Odum Ducal and bring pandemonium down on Noble Society, yet, he didn't allow anyone else to touch the Odum Ducal without his permission.

Nothing he did made any sense, but what can you do when you're a crazy bastard?

He could have let his little brother fall from grace, allow his enemies to take advantage of his weakness, and maneuver their way into high positions of power. Aurelion could have failed as the Odum Heir and he would be there waiting to snatch the title out from under him.