Chapter 45: Laurel Elysium

This chapter is brought to you by Song of the Wind by KINGDOM. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

Julius was staring at a mirror.

By no means was it an ordinary mirror. It was a small handheld mirror with seven mismatched gemstones embedded into it, and according to Royce Benedick, it was a magic mirror Nazareth was testing for the Magic Tower before he...

Well.

It has been nearly two weeks since Nazareth fell and Julius still hasn't heard any news of his recovery.

His personal network couldn't find anything related to the incident, and even after Julius penned several letters to his various connections, there was silence on all ends.

Julius was frustrated.

He knew Ricin Flower was a nasty poison. Not only was it painful, but the effects were bloody and terrible to look at. It wasn't a life-threatening poison, however, if the antidote was administered in time.

During the tea party, Julius had seen someone shove a leaf into Nazareth's mouth.

Yet, the lack of news made Julius fear for the worse.

Rationally speaking, poisoning Nazareth with Ricin Flower fell into the realm of "low-budget and low-quality" assassination attempts.

If someone wanted to take him out permanently, Julius could name several other ways that might have been more effective.

But what if it was all a red herring?

Julius knew better than anyone else what an intentional assassination attempt looked like. They first rendered the victims vulnerable before aimingfor the throat.

The Ricin Flower was the first strike.

It was only a matter of time before the second strike—

He froze.

A sudden realization dawned on him.

It was said that the Odum Household has been put under lockdown.

No one was allowed inside the grounds. Likewise, no one was allowed out, either.

The Duke of Odum had been gone from the Imperial Palace for nearly two weeks, and the Duchess had been prowling the Capitol like a woman out for blood and murder.

The second strike had already happened.

"Thomas."

"You called, Master Julius?"

His personal servant appeared behind him.

Julius pressed a button on the magic mirror.

"Where did you say Mother was going, today?"

---

"Must you go?"

In the Master Wing of the Elysium Manor, there was only the Duke and Duchess and no one else.

This was a private moment between wife and husband.

Eubulous kneeled in front of his wife and held her hand. He looked pleadingly at her, his vermillion eyes wide with hope, like a puppy dog with abandonment issues and separation anxiety.

"You don't have to go..."

The love of his life smiled placatingly and patted him on the head.

"Euby, you do know I'll be back by evening, don't you?" Laurel asked.